Rifle separator in safe - what did you use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nynomad, Oct 15, 2012.

1. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Just wondering if anyone found an easy to get (cheap) way to separate your rifles in a safe. Standing the guns upright. Long story but this safe is just a box type - not gun specific.

Is wood with slots ok to use? I guess I would oil the wood where it would touch the barrels? Or is there something else inexpensive that I could get that just bolts right in?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My stack-on elite safe came with some plastic separators/holders that match up to pre-drilled holes in the safe's walls.
  3. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

I have no room for separators...
  4. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Yea right now they are just "piled" in there but they are in their cases to protect them - and supposedly storing in cases is not good.

I'll have to check on the stack on ones.
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

take them out of the cases so any moisture can evaperate. wood is ok just use some cloth on the wood.
    Cases are for keeping them from geting damaged in transport. When you store them in cases moisture gets traped in side. which makes them, RUST
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

foam tube/pipe insulator can be used to kep metal off metal and wood off metal.. also those foam 'float' tubes and things at walmart for 1$ can be cut an sculpted with a razor knife to do the same.

also.. i take old pairs of bluejeans ( or 25 cent pair I buy at yardsale ) and then cut the legs out and use them as 'sleeves' for my guns.. slip one over.. rubber band it.. might have some bbl sticking up.. but you can now lean it against other rifles and bolt handles don't scratch up other rifles.. etc.. etc.. or leave it at the bbl and lean it over and no cronw of bbl toucing other / safe.. etc..
  7. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Soundguy - those are some good ideas!
  8. soundguy

i'm cheap and money is hard to come by so i get creative!
  9. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

fill thoughs cut of jean leggs with sand. they work awsome at the range.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I need a new bigger safe; just never have the bucks and need more guns and supplies; those dang dems.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Mine came with shelves and separators, guess you guys got ripped off!

before I had the safe, I had them locked in a couple of wall lockers, I used a couple pieces of 2x4 lumber that I had put dowels in for separators.

drilled 1" holes with a spade bit and got some dowel rod from home depot, cut them into about 5" lenghts and glued them in, works fine.
  12. soundguy

one of the posters is using just a plain standing 'executive' style safe.. not a gun safe i think.. that's why the ques of seperators.

white wood 2x4 and a jigsaw and dowel as you mention would make a great seperator too though.

could use rtv to glue it in place inside the safe and stack the guns standing.. removal is easy to break the rtv bond when needed, and peel off with no damage to t he safe
  13. nynomad

nynomad New Member

The dowel method sounds good. Is it ok to have the barrel rest against the wood or should I oil the wood or cover it with cloth? Oil the cloth?
  14. soundguy

i like silicone impregnated cloth.. easy to get cans of spray silicone.

not real oily.. displaces water.. etc.

wood, IMHO, if unfinished, can breathe and hold water.. if the wood is sealed.. probably fine.. ( old and hard or hardwood is less apt to hold moisture than soft woods like pine, fir and spruce ).. oiled and greased and to some extent stained woods act like treated woods.. ( all my opinions on what I have seen building stuff mind you.. I'm not a wood-ologist nor do i play one on tv.. and i didn't sleep at a HI last night.. :) so YMMV )
  15. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Urethane pipe insulation will sweat bad idea. I use old tee shirts that I spray with silicone spray.
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

wood's not gonna hurt your gun barrel; you should be using both dessicant/moisture absorbers as well as a heat wand anyway, should take care of any issue there.

If you have a router or jigsaw, you could cut a bunch of U shape notches in a piece of wood and staple carpet along the contact/inner portion similar to original gun safe separators.
  17. soundguy

i did similar on a stand I made. i use a 1x4 and jigsawed it, then glued felt strips tot he cut edges.

carpet probably chaper!
  18. soundguy

a dessicant or moisture wand or other water eater should take care of that in the safe..
  19. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Ok thanks for all your ideas. I've now got a plan.... A desicant was always in my plan. Was just worried about where the barrel touched. Looks like silicone spray on cloth is the winner.
  20. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

I took a kiln dry 2X4 centered a line on it and for spacing drilled my holes with a hole saw. Then split it, glue felt on it and installed with JB weld. Lots of rest now, next time I might try the cut off jeans idea from soundguy