Rifle that will not fire ????

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by LDBennett, Sep 11, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Little Rooster:

Its interesting that neither the powder canister from American Pioneer Powder or the extensive loading notes on their web page mention that the sticks are for in-line muzzle loaders and not for side locks (????). Neither my friend or me are "into" muzzle loaders up to this point. I have a pistol that I gave up shooting over 10 years ago (prior to the introduction or at least any knowledge by me of these pelletized powders). How's one to know if the powder canister or the web site don't say? My friend did not even go to the web site.... Shame on him!

LDBennett
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

So it won't be a total loss, money wise, he can still use his sticks (probably). They are, most likely, fifty grain sticks. Instead of trying with two sticks, put fifty grains of powder down the tube and then put one stick in on top of it. The burning powder should be hot enough to set the stick off, and that way he can use them. Would not be just throwing them away, as it were.
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Alpo, I am not sure I would add 50 grains of loose powder, this would be technical a duplex load. I am not sure how much pressure it would create. However using it like a primer, like you would a Flintlock has some merit. I would use the same powder as the pellets. APP with APP pellets, 777 RS with the 777 pellets. I quit using APP it caused more corrosion than Black Powder. I swiched to 777 recently for some of my odd caliber rounds .32 etc. .45acp
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I will NOT suggest anything but loose powder for use in this gun to my friend. He went perhaps 5 years with this gun with no success without doing the proper research as to how to make the gun shoot. He obviously is not the person to be doing experiments of mixing pellets with loose powder. I will tell him to only use loose powder, either black powder or Pyrodex or even the loose powder version of American Pioneer Powder. I will tell him to discard the powder "sticks" he has. He bought the "sticks" about five years ago and the cost of it is insignificant compared to the lost fun of shooting the gun...a bad investment, move on.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

wise decision....