Rifled shotguns.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by GMFWoodchuck, Nov 15, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Am I the only one who thinks that rifled shotguns and slugs are an awful picky lot? With any other type of firearm, if one batch of ammo is dialed in, another brand/type of ammo will at least be in the same neighbothood. No, perhaps not the best groups or exactly where you want them. But at least they'll hit the paper. I sure know it seems like with shotguns it's not like that at all. One batch will produce a "perfect" group and another batch you may as well as throw the whole shell at the target becaue you'll be more accurate and have a chance at hitting the paper.

I don't know.....
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have a 1187 remington 12 gauge,it is dedicated to shooting sabots only for deer.i live in indiana and its the only type allowed unless handgun or smokepole.i have tried three or four different types of sabots and have never had any problems that could not be adjusted with two or three clicks of the scope.it will punch one inch to one and one half inch groups at 100 yards and opens up to less than two and one half at 150. old semperfi
  3. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    i hunt with plenty of rifels but I HAVE KILLED MANY NICE DEERS WITH A 20 GAUGE with a bead on the end. all ammo doe,s shot diferent find one you like and stay with it,i use Remington,s all 12 of my shotguns or try having someone to load them the way you want them . pops42
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on Shotguns and Slugs...I only use them one week of the year and with the bead on a deer it's either a hit or a miss.
    Ive hunted all my life and grew up hunting everthing one could hunt with shotguns.
    Seems in the last several years (and I thought it was just me) I shoot and shoot before deer season comes in and every year I do usually get a deer during the one week season. But I have used every brand of slugs I could get my hands on and I just have resided to the fact that it's just me that cannot hit right on target with every shot. Thats why in the past few years Ive been trying out Pistol hunting, and with better results.
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

Oh yeah the rifled barrel is the way to go.
    Otherwise its like throwing a football like a brick.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Come to the little hut in the woods and I will let you shoot all of my shotguns, 3 shots each at 100 yards. I won't tell you which one has the rifled barrel, they will all shoot the same Brenneke slugs. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference.

With the front bead only guns you will be lucky to stay on paper but its doable. With the rifle sighted and the scoped guns you will be able to hold a 4" group on target if you are a marksman. At that range rifling doesn't mean a hill of beans unless you are shooting those expensive sabot rounds. Now how would I know that? Bring your own shells I just went through a bunch of them.
  7. underhammer

underhammer New Member

Does anyone know of a source for a rifled 20 ga barrel blank? I have an old Mossberg bolt gun I'd like to turn into a slug gun. If I can't find one I'll have to have it threaded for a rifled choke tube.
    Thanks
    I can be reached at terryandstevephilippy@comcast.net