Rifled slugs?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I have a few shotguns that have rifled barrels. Is it possible to get slugs with rifled fins or rifling on the slugs.

I saw a post about the accuracy of a rifled shotgun barrel. Would the accuracy increase with a rifled slug, (that is if there is such a thing as a rifled slug)?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Slugs with the rifled groves are called Foster slugs, and are not intended to shoot in a rifled barrel. The rifled barrel is designed to shoot the sabot slugs. Foster slugs are intended for smooth bore barrels. I have heard that some of the guys that reload slugs are having some success with cast lead slugs using cups, but since I don't reload, I'm not sure about this info. Some one with more knowledge that I have will along shortly to inform you, and possibily correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. cakes

cakes New Member

I have several shotguns with rifled barrels. Most of them shoot rifled slugs very well.

I've never loaded my own rifled slugs. I use factory loaded rifled slugs. Try a box, you might be surprised.
  4. questor

questor Member

I shoot rifled slugs through my rifled 870 barrel and at 100 yards will blow the bullseye out.
  5. AmmoGuy

AmmoGuy New Member

Carver had it right - rifled (or Foster) slugs are designed and intended for smoothbore barrels. If you look at one of these out of the cartridge, you will notice they have what appears to be rifling marks formed into the slug. The primary purpose of these is not to impart spin (which many people mistakenly believe) but to lower the surface area bearing against the bore when they are fired.

Since they are intended for smoothbores, those grooves could actually be reverse of the twist in the barrel - a situation which obviously is counter to improving accuracy. Also, the desing of the slug is such that the center of gravity is very far forward in the slug, allowing the slug to stabilize similar to a shuttlecock in badminton.

Rifled barrels are intended for use with high performance saboted slugs, These projectiles are designed with the center of gravity further back and rely on spin stabilization to achieve accuracy.

In general, the saboted slugs will provide similar groups at 100 yards to the rifled slugs at 50 yards.
  6. eagles

eagles New Member

Where can I get reloading information for the 12 gauge Dixie slugs ? I have the terminator slugs and want to get the heavier one for the 3 inch 12 gauge as well . I went on there forum and can not find a scrap of loading data . Nor can I find such info on the web . I made a post asking for it onthe Dixie forum and no one replied . VERY FRUSTRATING . Thanks for any help :)
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I do not and would not shoot rifled slugs down a rifled barrel........I have always heard they will mess up the rifling.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Foster slugs are slightly under bore and will not be affected by the rifling. I have no difference in accuracy shooting Foster slugs in a rifled or smooth barrel. The rifling on the slugs swages down when it goes through a choke so a choke doesn't adversely affect the flight of the slug.

The rifling on the Foster slug does exactly nothing to impart spin and when the slug manufacturers tried to remove them or make slugs with straight length wise rifling old customers who were convinced that the rifling made the slugs fly straight and true complained bitterly. For marketing purposes they had to put the rifling back on. To get maximum effect from a rifled barrel as a previous poster Carver pointed out you need a sabot slug.

You shoot, you clean the barrel, just like any other gun, The slug will not ruin the rifling. Just clean it and you are good to go.