Rifles and pistols for women

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TartanLass53, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Roger that. I have 2 of them and neither one has ever malfuntioned while using quality ammunition.

I put a post on the .22 forum on how to install a trigger overtravel adjust screw (sticky'd at top) for the '60. It's easy as pie and your dad would love it.
  2. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Most weapons can have the trigger pull lightened. The long term key has been said: proper maintenance and quality ammunition.
  3. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

My wife loves to shoot my Sig Mosquito .22LR auto. The recoil is great and its a decent little round for practice. On the plus side the pistol is almost the same size as the 9mm Sig Sauer P226 and it allows for a great addition to the practice regimen for her.
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member

My wife has the smallest hands I've ever seen on an adult. She shops
    for gloves in the kids section! Has some arthritis and a bit of carpal
    tunnel also.

22 pistol: She has a Beretta Neos. Small grip, crappy out of box trigger
    but it can be smoothed up. Just bought her a Ruger 22/45 with the
    replaceable grip panels---it will get a trigger job and I think it will become
    her go-to 22, because it has the same grip angle/controls as her:

Colt 1911 Government model 9mm.
    Thin grips
    low pad thumb safety
    short trigger
    flat mainspring housing
    right side magazine release
    11 lb recoil spring

She LIKES this 9mm. Shoots it in USPSA Single Stack division.

Carry gun: Tried several. Her current gun is a Kel-Tec P32, with a
    Crimson Trace laser on it. She prefers the Kel-Tec 10 rd magazine, it
    extends the grip a bit. Easy to rack, OK trigger, small and light.
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

welcome aboard! :) i agree w/ the others who said go to the range & try out some of the guns they have for rent.

dont fret if you end up having to carry a 22. remember, shot placement is key. get what you can handle & practice, practice, practice!

having a big caliber gun doesnt mean anything if you cannot control it or hit anything with it.

also, i prefer revolvers. they are very user friendly, especially if you're just getting started w/ firearms.
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

hmmm, interesting read here. I am thinking of getting my wife into shooting as well. I may have to bring here to the range and see if she finds anything she likes. very good idea.
  7. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

If you've got your CCWP then you must be thinking about carrying for self-defense. While there are many documented occurrences of people being killed with a single shot from a .22, it is generally considered to be inadequate as a self-defense rnd. Most here consider the .380 a bare minimum. However, most small pistols in that caliber, Kel-Tec, Ruger, etc., are not fun to shoot and are not considered range guns. My Kel-Tec P3AT makes my hand sore after 2 shots. That being said, a Glock-26 in 9mm is the easiest shooting sub-compact gun I've ever fired. It's small enough to be carried easily in a purse or in a variety of holsters for deep concealment. And more professionals shoot Glocks than any other brand so there is no question as to their reliability. I prefer revolvers but no snubbie in light weight alloy configuration and common caliber, (.38, .327 0r .357 mag) will be manageable with your physical condition.

To me this would be a no brainer. Glock-26