1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rimfire - .22LR or .17HMR Which is best?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Kent Detective, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

In general, I would say .22 is better for rabbits, but 150 yards is a LOOOONNNGG way for a .22. If you really need that distance, go with the .17. If you can limit your shots to under 100 yards, it is a different story.
  2. Sandman

Sandman Member

I think most people on this forum would say that the Ruger 10/22 is a very good rifle, and that Ruger is an excellent company. I would also disagree about the after market parts. It has the widest array of aftermarket parts for customizing a rifle, but I don't see many people going out and replacing their wood stock with a similar aftermarket wood stock because the quality is higher.
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Big Shrek is Right, nuff said!
  4. LewiSS

LewiSS New Member

I have had a Henry lever action in both, and still like .22 better for all the reasons already stated. Plus, when the .17 was first becoming popular I read a short article in one of the magazines (or maybe it was on gunblast.com) that said hunters were seeing overpenetration with the .17. That small, fast bullet was sailing right through some animals, and wasn't providing a humaine 1-shot clean kill if you don't hit a vital organ right off.
  5. 22shot

22shot New Member

.22Lr are cheap to shoot; potent; and vey accurate when teamed with the right rifle. (and shooter).
    They are limited by range only...I've heard about native Alaskans going out on the rivers in their boats to "harvest" the migrating caribou as they swam across ( a .22 shot in the ear doing the trick)...illegal but you gotta eat.
    And then there were the .22 High Standard semi-auto pistols with the screw on suppresors.....but that's another story.
    The .17 is a very hyper elongated BB; not much more than a "flash in the pan".
    If your average "hunting" shots are over 100 yds; the .22LR is not for you; and the .17 isn't even in the book.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Ground hog. A big, nasty rodent, usually only about 4 kg here near me, but in certain areas they can sometimes be over 10 kg.

In my state, the hunting regulations for them are "any time of day, any time of year, with any equipment, and no limit on number." Pretty much, they are a pest.
  7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Since you haven't developed a preference, I'd say to run with the CZ in .22LR
    I've had friends who had .17's, and they never impressed me enough to get one. Those tiny little bullets are just too small to be useful to me, regardless of speed and claimed range.
    My "big thing" is the 10/.22, but aftermarket parts are much easier to get here than they are there, from what I've read. To help in your choices, do some comprehensive reading over here:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
    As for the 10/.22 being "small" for a grown man, that's all a matter of what you want. I'm pretty good size, but I really like my CRR (compact) 10/.22's. I do have a regular sized 10/.22, and with all I've done to it, it has cost about $750. You'll probably be ahead in the long run with the CZ.
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Marlin model 60,nuff said!:D
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hate the 17 bore. too hard to clean properly, rods are flimsy, they foul quickly, accuracy is badass but short lived before proper cleaning is needed. I much prefer .22s to the quick 17s. A good LR with quality ammo will put a bunny down out to 150 yds accurately in a good rifle in the hands of an experienced shooter.
  10. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd go with the CZ 452 in .22 any day. IMHO. Joe