Rimfire and red dot sights, fast as fast can be!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/4/02 4:01:49 pm)
    Reply Rimfire and red dot sights, fast as fast can be!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This Taurus M72 .22WMR used to have a Loopie 2.5 power scout scope on it and it was very fast to get on target. I wanted to try something new so I mounted an Aimpoint 5000 red dot on it. It is now faster than I thought possible. Both eyes open with a huge FOV makes it almost too easy to snap shoot. Add the fact that its a rimfire to the mix...and well, you get the picture.
    My GF and I use it to plink steel spinner targets. With open sights it was fun, with the 2.5 power scope it was OK, now, with the red dot its just too easy! We tried putting the target out as far as the range allows and its still easy. Any ideas on new, more challenging reactive targets?

Edited by: cal414 at: 12/16/02 11:44:25 am

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/4/02 4:04:52 pm)
    Reply Re: Rimfire scopes, old meets new.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pennies at 100 yds.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/4/02 4:12:19 pm)
    smartass!
    Everyone knows your supposed to use dimes!

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/4/02 5:25:53 pm)
    Aw, c'mon shooter45, it's either M&M's or Reeses Pieces at 100 yds, makes it a little interesting. Just put out a clay strip and press in the targets! Use to use Necco wafers, but they be the size of quarters.

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/4/02 6:04:58 pm)
    You guys are pikers.....I use tic-tacs at 100 yards! With my iron sight M1911!

gram22
    (12/4/02 6:11:14 pm)
    Reply Targets.
    Set up used shotgun shell on a flat surface, my local range has then laying everywhere on the ground. I guess shooting a live one would be interesting, but don't forget your kevlar vest.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/5/02 7:49:55 am)
    Reply Re: Targets.
    At 100 yds with a good shooting .22, If you can see it in the scope, you should be able to hit it.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/02 8:01:42 am)
    Shooter45,
    Keep in mind that the red dot on the 22 mag in this thread has 0x magnification and a huge FOV. 100yds w/0x magnification would be tricky...

Edited by: cal414 at: 12/5/02 11:46:51 am

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/5/02 8:42:59 am)
    I know , I had one on a 686 revolver and a .40 cal. racegun. You got to be able to see it to hit it. The red dot isn't made for 100 yd shooting but I've shot bowling pins at that distance with both my guns.

gram22
    (12/5/02 10:20:44 am)
    Reply Red dot.
    There are probobly red dot sights that can be visible at that range. I have seen them in different voltages, but they can get expensive.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/5/02 10:47:07 am)
    Reply Re: Red dot.
    Gram22,

The red dot is reflected in the scope not projected onto the target.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/02 11:55:39 am)
    Reply Re: Red dot.

Quote:
    There are probobly red dot sights that can be visible at that range. I have seen them in different voltages, but they can get expensive.

Gram22,
    To get a better understanding of how a red dot sight functions check out www.aimpoint.com
    and click on the "3D test drive virtual tour" its pretty neat. Read the instuctions and you'll find lots of things you can do with the "virtual sight".

Edited by: cal414 at: 12/5/02 12:00:01 pm

gram22
    (12/5/02 2:23:10 pm)
    Reply Red Dot Sight.
    Yeah, I was getting mixed up with the laser pointer type sights. I have seen and tried both types of sights.

Lee
    (12/6/02 10:12:31 pm)
    Reply give this a shot!
    I remember once when I was a kid, I actually thought about trying to wingshoot a big ole nosegoblin with my Dad's springfield 22 after flicking it into the air. Well, to make a long story short, after repeated and strenuous flicking, that thing would just NOT leave my finger.......so i finally ended up wiping it off on my dog's head. Bummer huh?

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/7/02 12:13:00 am)
    Reply Re: give this a shot!

good one Lee!!!

welcome to the firearms forum!

chris in sandy eggo

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/7/02 8:16:38 am)
    Reply Re: give this a shot!
    I try to break both pieces of Xracer's tic tacs before they hit the ground.
    ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

Lee
    (12/7/02 12:51:33 pm)
    Reply thank you
    Thank you Chris in sandy eggo.....the pleasure is mine

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/7/02 7:29:01 pm)
    Reply Re: thank you
    Light kitchen matches at twenty five yards.......ifin you are a "real" .22 shooter.

LTS