Rimfires and Big Game

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ninjatoth, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

Ok,I know it is illegal to hunt big game,and in my case,whitetail with any rimfire gun.But,is it illegal to shoot a downed game that is still alive with a rimfire gun?If I had my .22 revolver on me and the animal was still alive,could I use it to finish the animal without ruining the rack and ruining meat?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Where do you live? Every state has their own rules for hunting calibers. Best idea I have is read your state game laws, and if that doesn't answer your question, call Game and Fish (or whatever it's called in your state).
  3. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Thats real good advise! Here in Colorado it is elegal to hunt or take a deer with any thing smaller than .24caliber ( 6mm.) I know in some states in this area its elegal to have rimfire in your possession during Deer season.
  4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I guess I need to be careful and know the laws about rimfires.It is common practice to take my .22 revolver with me every visit to the woods,but I wouldn't be thinking it might be illegal during hunting season as long as I have a legal deer rifle with me,but maybe it is.
  5. 38 special

38 special New Member

This is a no brainer. If the deer is down and cant get up, It is your moral duty to dispatch the animal. Do you want to let the deer die by inches, or put it humanely out of it's misery? THe hell with the "rules" ,DO what's right! Shoot it in the brain and make sure you hit it right. If you are not confident enough to hit it in the brain at 3 ft. or so, then you better practice alot more and not hunt until you are confident of your shooting skills. What's more important, worrying about breaking some assinine law or doing what's right?
    As far as wasting meat, how could you possibly waste meat when you shoot it in the head?
    Secondly you should also gut the deer, drag it out, skin it ,clean it ,and make good use of the venison. Anything less is also just plain wrong, unless you dont like venison -in that case you shouldnt be hunting either.
    When you get it out of the woods ,THEN you can call the warden and tell him exactly what you did. If He's an honest, half intelligent person, He will thank you for your efforts and thank you for what you did.
  6. RichR

RichR Member

I carried a 22 revolver for several years as a side arm while hunting.Often talked with WCO in the field and never was asked what I carried.I used the
    22 to finish several deer.I do not see what the issue would be.
  7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I am pretty new to hunting,my first hunt was last season,and my deer was down with the first shot,dead.But since then I purchased a .22 handgun.My first question is,will it finish a deer,and my next question is,is it legal?Someone mentioned that it may be illegal to even have a .22 on you during hunting season,and I know it's illegal to hunt deer with a .22,but is a finishing shot really the same?
  8. 38 special

38 special New Member

I suppose If its your deer,and its down but not dead I suppose technically here anyway, you are suppose to finish it with your centerfire rifle(or handgun). When that happens I shoot deer thru the top of the neck. Its a quick kill that way -you will have bloodshot meat at the upper neck but most of the neck roast will still be good. The neck is pretty tough and marbeled with suet so it is not for steaks. It does make a decent roast in a dutch kettle or crockpot cooking slowly for several hours.
    I dont see a problem with finishing deer with a 22 like you were thinking but if you have a rifle I use that. If all you had was a 22 and you came upon a crippled deer then Id go ahead and use the 22.
  9. RichR

RichR Member

Yes a 22 will finish off a deer/elk-I like the idea that most of the time it will not damage the skull that bad.You need to shoot it in the head,not the body.
    As always be careful of an animal that is down,they are not always dead.
  10. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I know in OK, if you are on public hunting land you can only carry your rifle, no side arms, and no side arms in archery and muzzle load either. but if hunting on private land you can carry a handgun for selfdefense. my 1911 always goes with me in the woods.
  11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    In Arkansas you can carry your CCW weapon during all hunting seasons but you are not allowed to use it to hunt with. Rimfires are not allowed for deer hunting either. I would check your local game laws to be sure. Now apart from the legal side if I saw a wounded deer and all I had was my .22 pistol then I'd go ahead and end his misery.
  12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

as far as I know,my laws here prohibit rimfires on deer,so that would probably include after it's down.Any centerfire pistol or revolver is legal here for hunting.I don't think I will need another shot,I'm hunting 50 yards with a .444,but I was just curious as to"could you".
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Weather its been a bow or gun that has downed a deer i was taught to cut its throat with my hunting knife. I have done it twice and worked like a charm. Good Luck.
  14. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Ya that .444 will get the job done! I use a .35REM sometimes and it will kill a deer if you hit it anywhere close. I bet the .444 will really put them down.
  15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

My brother just gave me that .444.He hunted with it once I believe,and he got a deer.The shot knocked the deer against a tree!Last year was my first hunt,and I used my father in law's .270 weatherbymag,and I got an 8 point 175+lb deer,and it was one shot drop with that.I might use that again if I get a chance.