rio shotgun shells

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by topper, Nov 26, 2008.

1. topper

topper New Member

i bought a box of 'rio' brand shotgun shells for my .410 yesterday. i never heard of this brand before, but the man behind the gun counter said they were as good as anything else. i sorta trust his judgement as he has personally used them and also the store he owns is the biggest pawn/gundealer in town and has a very solid reputation. still, i would like some input from the more experinced folks on here about 'rio' shotgun shells. i'm just using my shotgun to scare off pesky varmits, not any serious target or skeet shooting. thanks.
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

RIO is actually a good shotgun shell. They use a plastic piston wad, so your barrel is protected from lead fowling. Rio also puts a heavier shot load in their "field" shells than any of the leading brand manufacturers. For instance, Rio loads 1 1/4 ounce of lead into their 2 3/4 12 guage shotshells, and Federal, Reminton, and Winchester only load from 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce of lead. I would assume that they load their .410 shells on the heavy side as well.
    You may rest assured that you made a good purchase.
  3. oneounceload

oneounceload New Member

RIO's are made in Spain - they are very good shells, pattern very nicely in my guns, and are generally less expensive than many current alternatives. Folks at my gun club get together and buy them by the pallet