Riverside Arms 12 gauge, somethings missing here

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by fuzebox40, Aug 11, 2011.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I’m repairing this one for a friend and I’m having trouble determining just exactly what part or parts are missing.
    The gun will function but it won’t cock itself when breaking it open as it should. Looking into the receiver you can see two side by side levers. You can see them again through a hole in the bottom of the receiver. Apparently this hole was drilled so that a hillbilly could cock the gun by pushing the levers up with a screwdriver, or more likely a stick he found. I'm provoked to fix it propper cuz I'm anal that way but the parts list and pics are leaving me still unsure.
    This is apparently (same as) a Stevens model 315 and here is the link to the Numnuts parts list.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=5518

If anyone is highly familiar or possibly owns one of these I‘d surely appreciate your help.
  2. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

pics

Attached Files:

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Check inside the rear part of the forestock for the cocking lever(s). Should be something sticking out thru the iron.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got a hammerless Riverside and it looks the same. My cocking rod was brazed at some point but works ok. If you're not in a real big hurry I'll try to break it down sometime this weekend and take pics.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes, it has the ejector sticking out.

Attached Files:

6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Thanks, I'll be checking in several times a day.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Hope these help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Hawg...yes, this definitely helps! Your pic #2 shows what looks to be the main part I'm missing. As you can see in my 1st pic I have no loose parts sticking out the bottom of the breech. They are calling that part the "cocking hook" So I obviously need that. Mine has the through pin that keeps it in but I can't tell if there is anything else there that isn't showing in the picture, so can you tell me if there is any other part there with it, under or behind that I can't see?
    The Numrich drawing shows a small part called the "cocking plunger" #37 goin somewhere in that area but can't tell where. I'm wondering if maybe that is what the other hole is for. Looking at it from the front there are 2 holes, 1 is for the extractor push rod an and the other "on mine" has nothing going through it. Any feedback you can give me on that?
    Thanks a bunch for the help here, these 2 parts have been my suspects but couldn't verify until now.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The piece you're missing is connected in with the extractor and the extractor plunger. It all moves as one unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really should replace mine and the cocking plunger but the brazing works and I don't use it much.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

cocking lever, cocking hook - what's in a name???
    Good job HAWG
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Thanks Jim. Fuzebox if you get your part installed be careful how you install the barrels. The cocking lever has to go inside the forks. If you don't get it inside you can break it and/or the cocking lever. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to mine and probably yours also. I'll bet there's a lot of these old guns stored away with broken parts that could be picked up for a little of nothing.
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

You're right. I have an 1880s Anson & Deeley - that is a real beetch to put back together - the cocking lugs have to fit just perfectly into the fore stock end iron or nothing works.
  13. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I agree, right away I could see that the parts would bind if not properly possitioned and something would have to give, which is probably why I can't find these parts anywhere. Numnuts has most of it but the cocking hook and plunger are sold out. The two most common reasons for a part to be sold out: No.1-Because I need it. No.2-Problematic part.

In some cases they are one in the same, but in this case the Hook is on the breech and the lever is in the receiver. I only mention it because it looks like my next attempt to find the parts will be Jack First Gun Shop where I'll be on the phone requesting them by part name only.

I've tried everywhere else I know of, namely: Bob's, Poppert's, Numnuts, Hoosier, Dick Williams, *********, Bear Creek, etc.. I'll follow up on any sugestions for the search too.

Meanwhile I want to thank you both for your input, and Hawg, very good of you to take the time to break yours down and get pictures up.;)
  14. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Interesting. I guess there are certain names we're not suposed to mention? I see one was auto blanked out in my prior post.
    Anything I need to know?
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You're welcome Fuzebox. Glad to be able to help. I doubt there's many on here that have one of these and I know what a booger it is trying to find parts when you're not sure exactly what parts you need.