1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

RL22, RL25, IMR7828, H1000

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by richbug, Jan 13, 2005.

1. richbug

richbug New Member

Does anyone have any experience with these powders? I am new to large overbored magnum powder hogs and new some insight. I could right a book on Medium and fast powders, but know nothing of these super slow powders. I am loading for a 300 WBY mag. Planning on using a 190-200 BTSP.
    I heard that RL22 is the same powder as Norma MRP which I would assume is what Norma uses in making factory Weatherby ammo. Is RL25 a Norma powder also?
    I shot a few(60) rounds of 300 WBY that was loaded with H1000, but that is my experience with it.
    IMR7828, I know nothing about.

Concerns with these powders would be the effect of temperature on velocity and group size.
  2. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

7828 very dirty but a good choice.

H1000 was the powder I used for 250 grain bullets in my 338/378 WBY. Very good for that purpose. Very good for heavy for caliber bullets.

RL22 and RL25 are made by Alliant. Good powders for overbore capacity cases. I have used RL22 in 338 Win Mag with 250 grain bullets.

The 300 WBY is not really that much of an overbore capacity case. Unlike the 300 RUM or 30/378 WBY. H1000 and 7828 would both probably give you higher velocities than RL22 or RL25 but the RL22 just might give better accuracy.
  3. richbug

richbug New Member

Thanks allen. I was leaning towards the RL22 anyway, but needed a nudge. I want to work up a load that would be suitable for everthing from groundhogs to moose, so I can practice with one load, and know exactly what it does at any range from 5-500 yards. Assuming I can find a powder/bullet combination that will work. The 300 wby is way over bored for me. My next closest overbore is a .308 win....
  4. INSANEDESIGNS

INSANEDESIGNS New Member

Well, you're speaking my language...I have just finished a MARATHON session with my .300 Wby Mag. I have it dialed down as good as it's going to get. I have settled on the RL22 powder, 180g Nosler Ballistic tip spitzer, and Winchester Magnum primer.
    This gun will now do whatever I ask it to. It was shooting all over the place until I started fiddling with the loads, I narrowed it down to 78.5 grains of RL22 gives me the "perfect" load for this gun, Might not work for others but, I tried some shells at 78.6 and 78.4 and could not believe the difference. I did not know this was such a game of precision.
    It has really opened my eyes to the importance of finding the right load for your gun. When I look at factory ammo boxes, I have to chuckle to myself. I always thought that ammo was ammo, the more I shoot these same cases, The better they get, I know someday I will have to replace them but until then, I'm lovin' it!
    Good luck with your .300 Wby Mag
    Joe