1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Road trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sting75ray, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Left home this morning and 752 miles later we are back home now. What a day trip in the Vette. Home to Taos NM, to Santa Fe, to Chama NM, back down thru Taos and them back home. Lots of beautiful country to drive thru but I am wore slap ass out. Oh and how many miles of that did Jamie drive? 00000.00000 LOL
  2. bobski

bobski Former Guest

living where you are is like living on the moon.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We do a little juant here every once in a while that is a little over 500 slow miles. It's called the Talimena scenic drive, http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/maps.php Sometimes we drive up to Mena, AR, and cross over to Talihena, OK, then home. Sometimes we go the other way around. In the fall we try to catch the "Changing of the Colors". In the winter there is sometimes snow, and we almost always see a bear or two. It's our own little "Tail of the Dragon"!

The Talimena Scenic drive winds 54 miles along the crest of Rich Mountain and Winding Stair Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest (pronounced Wash-i-tah). If you can resist stopping to enjoy the many vistas and attractions along the way, the route takes 1 hour and 10 minutes to drive. A leisurely drive can take all day.

Along the drive are several historic sites and numerous turnouts with panoramic vistas. Many of the sites have exhibits that explain the natural and historical significance of the area. Learn about the prehistoric Caddoan people, early settlers of Rich Mountain, the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the Choctaw Nation (tribe) in Indian Territory. Discover interesting facts about the natural environment while absorbing the beauty of shortleaf pine and hardwood forests.

Lots to do around here, if we don't feel like doing the Byway, there is always the "Pig Trail". http://www.arkansas.com/places-to-go/scenic-byways/pig-trail/
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. bobski

bobski Former Guest

great burgers and buffet at the Ouachita state park lodge, fyi.....
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Are you refering to Lake Ouachita State Park? One of the most beautiful lakes in AR. We haven't been up there in a while, but we used to scuba up there all the time. Wife got her open water certificate there.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I know why you didn't invite me along.....'cause the vette is only
    a 2-seater.....;)
    Beautiful drive....Rio Grande Gorge, huge Ponderosa pines,
    purple sage......
    I lived all over that region for years, Ojosarco, Penasco, SF, Mora,
    4Corners area.....
  7. bobski

bobski Former Guest

oops. Lake Ouachita was where i was married. mt magazine is the great burgers!
  8. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

a few years back we took our C5 and traced, the best would could, Route 66 from Tulsa, up to Las Vegas, NM (the original Rt 66), to Clines Corner, NM then north to Taos. We traveled the Enchanted Circle taking a side trip thru Cimarron Canyon. With the top off the drive was excellent, fantastic view and the exhaust really talked in the canyon. We also visited the Vietman Memorial at Angel Fire.

We stayed at the Sagebrush Inn and fed the Prairie Dogs.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

Sounds like a lot of fun! We used to do it on motorcycles, pulling a trailer. Of the lower 48 states I've been in all but 9. I have yet to see the north eastern U.S. Road Trip!!!
  10. geds

geds New Member

Love a good road trip! Have made all the lower 48 except the east coast north of Maryland. That is definitely on the bucket list!
  11. carver

carver Moderator

I have a small car that gets 40mpg on the highway, so I'm looking real hard at a fast, low cost, road trip to the NE, in the very near future. I'm afraid that if I wait a few years, I won't have the probper documents to cross state lines.
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Myles, you and Laura would love Maine......once you got thru the crap
    to get there......