Rock Islan Armoury 03

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by NorwegianViking, Dec 16, 2010.

1. NorwegianViking

NorwegianViking New Member

I was just looking around the interwebs and found a site that was selling a Rock Island 1903. This is what the description says: Decent condition 03, with an electric pencil numbering on the bolt that is different from the serial number - 141830. Rifling is sharp, action is crisp. Milled floorplate and trigger guard assembly. Barrel is a Springfield Armory June of 1942.

The price is 595 USD. Should i buy it or is it overpriced?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the serial number on the receiver is 141830, I would not buy that rifle. Rock Island receivers below 285,000 had the old single heat treatment; some turned out to be very brittle and a few have burst on firing. I strongly recommend not firing those rifles.

In addition, that rifle has been rebarrelled, and the bolt is not original. Plus it has been in possession of another country, since the US never numbered M1903 bolts in service.

A nice original Rock Island rifle would have considerable collector interest, even if a low number, since RIA didn't make as many M1903 rifles as Springfield did, but that rifle as is has near zero collector interest.

In short, I recommend against buying that rifle.

Jim