Rock Island 1911 help!!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

max5150
    (2/5/03 12:27:25 am)
    Reply Rock Island 1911 Help!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I purchased a Rock Island Mid Size 45 from SARCO back in Oct 2002. Thank god i got it before the price increase.
    I do like the design and construction of my 45 However I am having a continuing Problem with this gun that maybe you can help me with.

I am having an issue with the slide seating itself in the full forward position once a round is expelled. It happens about every second or third round. Basically once the gun fires and the shell is extracted, when it goes forward to re-engage the next round the slide only goes forward about 98% of the way. THis 2% differance totally disengages the gun. Since I planned on carring this gun as my primary weopon for defense I find this 2% to be a dangerous factor. I am using FMJ ammo that meets or exceeds standards for ammo. I am using the original mag with it plus I also have 4 Wilson Combat 1911 mags that work pretty good in it.

It is this underlying problem I have had since day one. I thought maybe it was the ammo so I switched ammo...still the same problem. Tried different mags.....still the same problem?...Is there anything else I am not catching. I do religiously oil my firearms and they are well cared for including my Rock Island? Should i send this back to the factory?

Any help is appreciated...Thank you.

Mark

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:14:33 am)
    Re: Rock Island 1911 Help!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you sure it's not a shortened or weakened recoil spring that is causing the the short stroke of the slide?

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 9:06:32 am)
    Reply Re: Rock Island 1911 Help!!
    ....also check to see if the barrel link is too long, and check the barrel lugs and the lug grooves in the slide for burrs.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 9:42:26 am)
    Is the round in the extractor or ahead of it?

max5150
    (2/5/03 10:14:45 am)
    I have not checked the recoil spring yet. I will try to replace that. The round is ahead of it. Checked for burrs have not seen any yet. The gun itself is pretty brand new. I have had a few email suggesting the recoil spring so I replace that and see. Thanks guys for responding though!

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 12:29:57 pm)
    The round MUST be in the extractor for it to go into battery. I 'd suspect that the extractor is not tuned properly.

I had a similiar problem and some polishing on the angles and a burr removal did the trick.

Smoky the tinkerer

fredarmory
    (2/10/03 10:51:40 am)
    I had a cz75 that someone had problems with pulling the slide back all the way, before I owned it.
    They were nuts enought to shorten the recoil spring themselves (too brave for their own good health).
    Once that spring was replaced the problem was over!

fredarmory
    (2/17/03 10:15:06 pm)
    Where is the Rock ISLAND 1911 manufactured??

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/17/03 11:17:18 pm)
    Phillipines.