The Firearms Forum banner

Rock Island Armory 1911 Parts ??

Tags
16K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Big ugly 
#1 ·
I was told on another forum that parts for a RIA 1911 were very hard to get. If Rock Island is a standard 1911, shouldn't parts from any 1911 fit it? I read somewhere that Rock Island was a good frame to start a customized pistol. Have I misunderstood that statement?

#2 ·
My Rock Island 45ACP 1911 wears complete internals for the trigger control system straight out of the Brownels catalog for 1911's. The only part I had to fit was the safety and it was tricky but I got to fit and work correctly. I also put on a Dwyer Group Gripper full length spring guide with its special link, and a bushing that I fit to the slide and barrel as I would have any 1911. To customize the look I added a Bomar rib (full length, 1950's style Bullseye competition gun look) with Bomar sights. It fit exactly like it would have on any 1911.

RI nay sayers just can not fathom that a pistol so inexpensive can possibly be good so they invent negative things to say. I have this one that I customized and also use the frame with my Marvel 22 Conversion Unit 1. The trigger (with its after market parts and some stoning those parts) is sweet and both the Marvel Conversion and the 45 ACP top end shoot very well indeed. My son-in-law has a bone stock RI in 45ACP that shoots accurately, is reliable, and looks fine. We had a extractor tension issue with it when new but I adjusted that just like I would any other 1911. He is completely satisfied with his as am I with mine.

RI 1911's are just fine. Don't believe everything you hear.

LDBennett

#3 ·
Rock Island parts are hard to get in that if you want to buy some parts made by Rock Island, good luck! RIA parts are selling like hotcakes and production and/or importation hasn't caught up yet. I've been trying to get a slide for weeks and I gave up on waiting for the frames to be back in stock at Sarco, and just bought a Foster. other parts will work just fine if you want to spend more money though.

#4 ·
tracyballard:

For your usage "parts" may indeed be hard to get but few people who buy whole guns need extra RI slides or frames. All the internal parts are interchangeable with most other 1911 parts, perhaps with some fitting. So for customizing an existing RI, parts that most people buy are NOT hard to get.

LDBennett

#5 ·
Right you are, I know a feller here in tennessee who just converted one to .460 Rowland with very little trouble/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.