Rock Island Armory

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jim 44-40, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jim 44-40

jim 44-40 New Member

Looking for someone who ownes a 1911 from RIA in 9mm. Have you had any major trouble with it, or is it a good shooter?
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont own one but have sold them in my store. I dont hear many bad reports on the rock islands. They seem to be a good gun for the money. If you want to save a couple hundred more the STI spartan 9mm is a good gun for the money as well. But, the rock island will serve you well.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I used to have one in .45. Good gun.

What do you plan to do with it? CCW? Range gun?
  4. OldCorps

OldCorps New Member

Howdy folks - This is my first post on TFF, so just a short bit of intro: I'm an old Jar Head (1958-62 - till I die:), my CCW is a full-size Rock Island 1911/.45 Match grade in a Blackhawk SERPA holster. No, it's not too big for CC; I carry undetected under a loose T-shirt. If I'm gonna carry a gun, it's gonna be a GUN.:)

Anyway, enough of that: I couldn't resist the OPs question. Like I said, mine is a .45, not a niner, but I'm only going to comment on the manufacture: RIA makes an awesome weapon; fit and finish is marvelous; mechanically, mine has been flawless for somewhat over five-hundred rnds; and is it a good shooter? If my old mistreated 73-year old carcass, and tired eyes can dispatch 16 rounds such as this, at 10-meters—it's a good shooter.

My only suggestion would be, if you're considering your purchase to be a defensive gun, rather than a plinker, I'd deep-six the niner, and go for the .45 ACP. JMO

Attached Files:

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hey OldCorps, Semper Fi and welcome aboard. 66-70 for me. I love my Rock Island 1911, and I also like my BlackHawk SERPA holster too, but I can't carry it concealed because of my fat lol.
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

jim, My Rock Island is a .45 and I tend to agree with OldCorps on the 1911 frame in 9mm. 9mm is not a bad caliber, and there is a place for them in ones arsenal, but there are higher capacity pistols in smaller packages chambered in that caliber. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Rock Island makes a quality product though, and I'd trust it in any caliber.
  7. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

dunno about the 9mm, i have had a RIA 45 for several years now. it eats anything i put into it with out any fails. has a better trigger than some of my other hand guns and is as or more accurate than any of my other handguns. when i paid $365 for it, new in box, it was an absolute steal.
  8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have a Taurus PT 1911 in 9mm and it's a fun one to shoot. I had to do some work on it initially as Taurus tends to mess up little things but I got everything worked out. The biggest problem was the rear sight was pressed into the slide crooked and I ended up cutting it out with a dremel. Once I got new sights on it and put in the proper weight recoil spring - it runs like a Swiss watch and is very accurate and fun to shoot. For mags I have the 2 factory Taurus mags, 3 Mec-Gar, and 2 Wilson and they all function just fine.

I'm sure the Rock Island will be just fine as they make a decent gun. And yes folks, all my other 1911s are .45s...

[​IMG]
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got a tactical .45. It shoots great and feeds everything. I would imagine the 9MM to be just as good. I didn't like the grips or the mag so swapped those out but that was just personal preference.
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

I bought my RIA 45 Friday evening, and I do have one problem with it.......it won't stay loaded! I load the mag, pop it in the gun and seconds later there's empty cases laying everywhere. Oh well, guess I'll just keep loading it up until it stops doing it.:D
    Seriously though this is a great firearm, my first handgun. I've shot rifles and shotguns for years but this is one fun gun to shoot.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I love my RIA! This one is called the High Capacity Model. What makes it high capacity, you might ask? See that long magazine.:D :D

This picture is when I first go it. It now has a beautiful set of TFF grips on it.

Attached Files:

12. OldCorps

OldCorps New Member

Hey, thanks, and Semper fi backatcha Running.

I run into the "high capacity" argument everywhere, and I can understand the rationale, but here's my tupence worth: If ya have a crowd of bad guys coming atcha, 15 rounds would be nice, but every round outgoing is a threat to innocent bystanders. I'd much rather have eight rounds in my cannon, and put down a one moose fast—and give the rest real pause for re-thinking their continued approach, than have 15 rounds, and merely pi$$-off a buncha bad guys.:eek:
  13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

They are great guns. I have one in 9mm the tac version and it is a great shooter. Put together well and eats whatever I put in it.
    [​IMG]
  14. OldCorps

OldCorps New Member

Semper fi limbkiller. Love those grips. Where dija get them?
  15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Those on the 9mm are from Altamonte grips. Here is a set on an officers from Kimber.
    Semper Fi Marine.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This was my 9mm RIA, I traded it off last month for a 1909 Springfield in 30/40 Krag. Last week I bought a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm, but haven't fired it yet.

Attached Files:

17. OldCorps

OldCorps New Member

Thanks limbkiller. Ordered a set from Altamont yesterday.

Semper Fi
  18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Glad I could help.

Semper Fi
  19. Braddahrick808

Braddahrick808 New Member

This is my all time Shooting range handgun I put over 1700 rounds with mixed Factory ammo and Reloads with no jams and Still Counting, this is one Bad a$$ 1911 handgun, you can't go wrong with this and also the Price....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  20. HossFly

HossFly New Member

I've had a 9mm Tactical for almost a year with about 1,000 rds thru it- NEVER a problem!
    A few changes outside but internals are 100% factory-

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012