1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rock Island, Marvel Precision conversion

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by LDBennett, Feb 19, 2007.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

As I have posted here before I took a Rock Island 45 ACP 1911, set aside the slide barrel and the rest of the slide pieces, stripped out all the internals and with the help of a Brownells catalog replaced the trigger, the sear, the hammer, the disconnector, the sear/trigger leaf spring, the grip safety, the safety and the grips. I then mounted my Marvel Pecision Unit One to the modified Rock Island frame. I have shot it once before this way and the groups were nice and small.

This weekend I took it to our range that is loaded with swingers and gongs. The Marvel was hitting swingers regularly at 100 yards. I know 22 pistols should not be used at 100 yds but there was no metal targets to shoot any closer than 100 yds. I might add that the ammo I used was Federal Wally Mart bulk hollow points. There were no misfires, failures to feed, and every shot that missed the target I metally called as even though I rested my hands on a rifle rest on the bench, the red dot was still doing the dance on the 100 yds targets. The targets were 6 inch round metal plates and I had to hold over the plates about 6 to 10 inches because the red dot was setup for center hit at 50 feet. It was great fun!

I think this is very good results for a 22 and for a bottom dollar 1911 frame. I highly endorse both the RI frame and especially the Marvel Precision Unit One 22 Conversion Unit!

LDBennett
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Great Update LD. I've read a bit about the Marvels. They make two style units and I can never recall which is which. Which do you have, the one that looks like a Ciener conversion, or the one that resembles a S&W 41? I've heard the fixed barrel unit is a real tack driver.
  3. LDBennett

The unit one is the one that works like a Model 41 in that the barrel and sights are fixed to the frame and only a small bolt moves in recoil. The unit two is like the Ciener and Kimber in that the whole slide including the sights moves in recoil. The Unit one is the tack driver and comes with a test target shot at 50 yds (NOT FEET!). They have posted some of the test targets on their site. It's worth a visit to their site to read their info and see a few of the targets.

The unit two, the Ceiner, and the Kimber are meant for tactical practice, and consequently can not hold a candle to the Marvel unit one for accuracy. The unit one comes with a precisionly mounted top sight piece that can be either a scope mount top or an open sight mount top piece. You can choose at order time or can buy the opposite one you order as a seperate part. The mags are modified Colt Ace magazines of new manufacture and now work well and are well made (there was a period when the mag manufacutere wasn't holding up his end of the deal with Marvel but I am pretty sure they are through that problem now).

And the people at Marvel are extremely nice people who are out to satisfy their customers. I order mine off the internet and got confused by their order form and inadvertently order the unit two but wanting the unit one. I decided that it was so nice I'd keep it and order a unit one in the future. I sent them an email to notify them that their web site was confusing but not requesting anything else. They promptly emailed me back that they would make it right for me if it was the unit one that I really wanted. So I sent the unit two back and they sent me a new unit one. The magazines were problematical when I got my unit one and the spare I had bought was not their improved model. They arrange for me to meet the owner at the SHOT show and he gave me a new improved magazine. He was busy at their booth but took the time to chat with me for a few minutes none the less.

I had originally talked with Ciener and found them arrogant when they informed me that their conversion unit would not fit a Colt Delta Elite (10mm) because the 10 mm ejector interferred with their conversion unit. The Marvel had no such ejector limit. I found Marvel with a Google search.

Nice people! Excelent conversion unit!

LDBennett
  4. bompa

bompa New Member

Mr Bennet you are right about Cienier customer service,there is none..
    For what it is worth a Cienier kit slide can be easily modified to be used on any caliber 1911..Just open the extractor slot in the slide,did mine with a file but would be easier on a mill..
  5. LDBennett

boompa:

Why screw with the Ceiner when the Marvel is a superior product. I got the unit one and never looked back. After having a Marvel Prec. Unit One I'd never own Ceiner, or Kimber, even if they could be made to fit my pistol.

I got the RI updated with all the good stuff, mounted the Marvel on it, and it shoots great, as is to be expected. I took the left over 45 ACP stuff and added a Bomar rib, a Group gripper, a Match bushing, and shot it at the range in that configuration. It now needs a stiffer recoil spring as the RI one is not even the same weight as a Mil Spec one and has trouble closing the slide the last 0.050 inches, sometimes. I ordered a 16# and 18 # spring from Brownells and will try again. When I bumped the slide closed it seemed to shoot reasonable groups for a bottom fo the line barrel. Maybe a Match barrel is next???? It is fun to play around with home gunsmithing!

LDBennett