Rock Island Model 1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cadamson, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cadamson

cadamson New Member

Can anyone give some information as to value for this rifle? I am pretty sure the stock has been refinished by someone that is not a professional. Would it be possible to strip the finish he has applied and refinish to a more "original look"? Or is it better to leave alone? The two bands that hold the stock on also look to be painted but I dont know how he removed them for that. The good news is the bolt, reciever, and barrel have all been left original as far as I can tell. Serial number is above the "low number" for Rock Island, 383XXX.
    Barrel is marked SA 12-28. I am attempting to upload some pics.. The metal looks wet, its just oil, prolly overdone it a little.
    Any information would be great.
    If you need more from me please let me know.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The bands sure look painted in those pix. It's been a while since I removed the bands on an ought three, but I'm pretty sure that if you take the screws out, the bands come loose.

For the finish, I'd get some paint stripper and put on it - take that crappy looking varnish off. Then refinish with linseed oil.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Alpo is right, get that crap off with paint or varnish stripper and rub in a few coats of boiled linseed oil. Do not sand it. Does it have any cartouches (markings) on the stock?
  4. cadamson

cadamson New Member

It has a P behind the trigger on the stock that I can see. I am in the process of removing the old finish and am going to rub the linseed oil in when I finish. I will post more pics when I finish.. Im gonna strip the stupid paint off the metal parts that are painted also. From the spots that have been worn it looks like the metal will look original after I remove the paint.
  5. cadamson

cadamson New Member

I can get the bands all but off the rifle.. From what I can tell to completly remove them I will have to remove the front site. I am not sure I want to try and remove the front site but I really want to remove the paint from the bands any suggestions?
  6. cadamson

cadamson New Member

Im in the process of refinishing the stock and buttplate.
    Gonna let the stock dry out over night and then do the boiled linseed oil. the paint came right off the buttplate and is back to what looks to be original steal. I have take pics throughout the process and will post some if anyone is interested.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I would be interested in an after shot and maybe a couple of the process as you are doing it.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The more pics the better !! You'll always find some interest here.
  9. cadamson

cadamson New Member

This is after a few minutes of Zip-Strip.
    I let it work for about ten minutes and then rubbed it off with fine steel wool.
    It came off really easy.

Attached Files:

10. cadamson

cadamson New Member

This is the stock after the old finish has been removed.

Attached Files:

11. cadamson

cadamson New Member

Here are some pics after a couple coats of Boiled linseed oil..It looks tons better. I still have to strip the paint from the barrel bands but I had to put it back together and see what it was gonna look like all together. It turned out much better than I expected. It hanging on the wall now and seems to get better looking the longer it sets.

Attached Files:

12. cadamson

cadamson New Member

One more pic so you can see the whole rifle.

Attached Files:

13. cadamson

cadamson New Member

Can anyone put an approximate value on this rifle? I dont have any intentions in selling but would like to have an idea of the value. The only cartouches that I can find on the stock is a "P" behind the trigger guard and an "A" slightly overlapping the "P". The barrel is marked SA 12 28.
    The reciever is marked
    U.S
    ROCKISLAND
    ARSENAL.
    MODEL 1903.
    383XXX

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

15. cadamson

cadamson New Member

Thanks for the info. I dont think I will ever sell it, its my new favorate gun!!