Rock Island?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Shadow_Wolf, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf New Member

I think it's a rock island brand..but I was wondering what you guys thought about the rock island 1911. I seen one the other day and I liked the price too. Is it a good gun and reliable? Any comments are welcome.
  2. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

I got one in my buddys divorce sale and agree it's a nice feeling piece. Have not shot it a lot yet but everyone says the RIA pistols are a great value and totally reliable. I field stripped mine and was surprised to see the feed ramp was polished from the factory. Only bad thing I've heard is it's made in the philipines.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

what difference does it make where it's made as long as it's a good gun. the springfield armory plastic guns are made in croatia ( sp ?) and it's well thought of. and i'm pretty sure that country isn't considered a mecca of quality firearms. check out www.m1911.org and see what experts think of the RIA 1911's, you'll be surprized to see they come highly rated.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Very good entry level 1911.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

indeed... They are fine right out of the box and provide a highly workable platform for a semi custom... I wouldnt mind buying one
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

oscarmeyer is right. I've been dealing with quite a few 1911 recently. The best feeling one I have had so far that was not modified in any way has been a Dan Wesson with a match barrel, even over the Kimbers and STI. I had 1 RIA just for pushing sights. It felt and functioned just as nice as that Dan Wesson. Though I think they are on the lower end for 1911 I kinda consider them like DPMS in the AR world. Lower priced but well done and great performers. Don't be hate'n. They are very respectable.
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

My buddy shoots one.
    He had a little work done to it and it shoots great. Everything about that gun is on par with the big boys.
  8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Not as good as a Springfield (I don't know about Philipino forging) but better thean Norinco. TJ
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i beg to differ with you. the norinco 45's were highly sought after as a plaform to build a modified 1911. the experts praised the norinco for it's price it's sturdiness and concidered it a great starting point for a built gun.... sure not as good as a springfield or a les bear or a kimber but it cost alot less and functions very well
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

on the springfields their metal may be a bit better but there fitting has been spotty at best. I've refit 3 barrels this month all three were in newer springfields. Also they have been leaving some really gnarly machining marks in critical pieces. The RIA I had looked really well done. :rolleyes:
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I had the RIA 1911-A1. Good beginner 1911. I thought it was a better 1911 than that Taurus PT1911 I shot at the range. The RIA doesn't have any bells & whistles like the Taurus does, but you will notice that the RIA is much more comfortable. The one I had came with the feed ramp all polished and had a flared ejection port. I almost bought a Springfield GI 1911. Only reason I didn't was because the Springfield was $100 more and didn't have a flared ejection port. And all they had was parkerized. I would have gotten the Springfield if they had one in stainless. But I think the Rock Island 1911 is a great 1911 for what you pay for it. Ended up selling mine and getting a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded. I don't think the RIA makes a good carry pistol. It's pretty heavy. I mean I even noticed a difference in weight between my Springfield and my old RIA. I think RIA is cast and Springfield is forged. From what I hear forged is better. If you get the RIA, try to find the tactical model. Has a few more bells and whistles on it. Or at least try to upgrade the sights if you get the A1 model.

I can honestly say the RIA was also VERY reliable. Never had a single jam except when shooting range reloads. Always fed reliably. The quality of the pistol was excellent. If I had one again, I might have upgraded the sights and tried to make a it a little more accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple photos of the one I had.

[​IMG]
    This is the Springfield I currently have. My Springer is also an A1, but it's much more accessorized, therefore what they call "Loaded."

Either way, just make sure you keep your guns well maintained. One reason I never had any problems with either of my guns is because I clean them every time I shoot them and keep them well lubricated.

One more thing to add to the RIA - the one I got had good magazines too. The factory one had a supported follower and bumper pad on it.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I heard about that too. Heard somebody that had machining marks on their ramp. I must have gotten lucky and got one that someone took time building.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yep on the ramp, bottom of the slide were the disconnector rides. I have some with really buggered up bushings and I have one now that they undercut the lower lugs so the barrel rests on the link, not the lugs. If you rack the slide slowly with the muzzle down, the slide will not close, it binds on the upper lugs b/c the barrel actually go too far forward resting on the lower lug. If you just barley press on the muzzle it will lock. He bought it used. If it were new I'd be up springfields a$& on that one. I've seen 2 with very lousy hammer hooks to. 9lb triggers on them out of the box.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

On forged verses cast:

It depends on how it is done and by whom. Virtually every gun from Ruger is a "cast" gun, Investment Cast. They do it because that process requires less machining on the parts as the cast item can be cast closer to the required sizings. Today's "cast" gun is not yesterdays "cast" gun! Ruger became a world supplier of cast parts for others and a world leader in the process.

On RIA 1911's:

I bought one to get the frame for my Marvel Conversion Unit #1 (22LR). I replaced all the internal parts and only the safety required extensive fitting. I turned the upper into a 1950's style bullseye gun using a Bomar rib and sights. I added a fitted barrel bush and a Dwyer Group gripper. The end result is more accurate than I would have thought a cheapy gun ought to be. I'd put it along side any factory regular 1911 (not a custom).

My son-in-law bought one too. He left his as factory delivered. The extractor was not adjusted correctly but the RIA distributor guided me as to how to fix it. Just bending it ever so slightly (the prescribed way) increased its tension on the case so it works perfectly now. It too shoots well and accurately. I recommend them for any price conscience person who wants a 1911.

LDBennett
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

As already said buy just about all answering, the RIA is a very good entry level 1911. I have three 1911s with one of them being an RIA. Every thing about the pistol is good with the possible exception of the magazines. I bought mine used and it came with three magazines, one of them just doesn't feed properly. When I get the time and cash I plan on looking into some better magazines.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  16. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    OK, I stand corrected (wouldn't be the first time) :eek:. If you RIA guys are happy, so am I. TJ
  17. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Sorry if I offended any of you with my "foreign" Phillipino origin comment. However, that's how I have to take it with my plant running at 20% employment due both to Bush/Obama and folks not buying USA. I am feeling the crappy end of the stick.

All that said... the RIA pistols do have better fit and finish over a LOT of pistols regardless of their origin. :cool:

18. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Nah no offense taken. But these days, what pistols ARE US made? I mean as far as I know, everything on my Springfield is Made In the USA, with the exception of the frame, which is made in Brazil. I think Colts are still all made in the US aren't they? Smith & Wesson. There's a few, but not many.
  19. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Agreed... In addition to the Colts, I would venture to add Dan Wesson Valor and CBOB line which is going away for other products. Older SAs are totally USA. Not sure about the Smiths.

I would like to read about manufacturers who make USA 1911s if anyone knows where there's a site or thread. I'd appreciate a link.
  20. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Its all about prices.

Potential 1911 clone buyers are lured away from USA made guns because of their extraordinarily high prices. If it is for a plinker gun then all most people want is for it to go bang reliably and look as good as any other military gun for fit and finish. Guns like the RIA 1911 do that just fine. The starting prices on S&W 1911 guns is over $1000, I think, whereas the RIA 1911 clone is about half that, as is the Taurus version. Some of the 1911 USA made custom clones are more than four times what the RIA costs.

After a person has been around guns for awhile and has bought a few and maybe even stung by a few of the cheapies (not that the RIA or Taurus actually fall into that category) they tend to be a bit more discriminating about the quality of the guns they buy.

But my RIA (and I have a beautiful commercial COLT, too) shoots better than I would have ever expected but mine has had some work done. My son-in-laws, which is straight out of the box, also shoot remarkably well (accuarte) and is totally reliable. Maybe those Philippinos know something we Americans don't???? At least they are not made in huts with dirt floors by hundreds of different people and assembled with a hammer and a file like so many of the AK's and other third world firearms.

LDBennett