Rock Island?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Shadow_Wolf, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    OK, I stand corrected (wouldn't be the first time) :eek:. If you RIA guys are happy, so am I. TJ
  2. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Sorry if I offended any of you with my "foreign" Phillipino origin comment. However, that's how I have to take it with my plant running at 20% employment due both to Bush/Obama and folks not buying USA. I am feeling the crappy end of the stick.

All that said... the RIA pistols do have better fit and finish over a LOT of pistols regardless of their origin. :cool:

3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Nah no offense taken. But these days, what pistols ARE US made? I mean as far as I know, everything on my Springfield is Made In the USA, with the exception of the frame, which is made in Brazil. I think Colts are still all made in the US aren't they? Smith & Wesson. There's a few, but not many.
  4. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Agreed... In addition to the Colts, I would venture to add Dan Wesson Valor and CBOB line which is going away for other products. Older SAs are totally USA. Not sure about the Smiths.

I would like to read about manufacturers who make USA 1911s if anyone knows where there's a site or thread. I'd appreciate a link.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Its all about prices.

Potential 1911 clone buyers are lured away from USA made guns because of their extraordinarily high prices. If it is for a plinker gun then all most people want is for it to go bang reliably and look as good as any other military gun for fit and finish. Guns like the RIA 1911 do that just fine. The starting prices on S&W 1911 guns is over $1000, I think, whereas the RIA 1911 clone is about half that, as is the Taurus version. Some of the 1911 USA made custom clones are more than four times what the RIA costs.

After a person has been around guns for awhile and has bought a few and maybe even stung by a few of the cheapies (not that the RIA or Taurus actually fall into that category) they tend to be a bit more discriminating about the quality of the guns they buy.

But my RIA (and I have a beautiful commercial COLT, too) shoots better than I would have ever expected but mine has had some work done. My son-in-laws, which is straight out of the box, also shoot remarkably well (accuarte) and is totally reliable. Maybe those Philippinos know something we Americans don't???? At least they are not made in huts with dirt floors by hundreds of different people and assembled with a hammer and a file like so many of the AK's and other third world firearms.

LDBennett
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I have to give dittos to what gdmoody and LDBennet said. I have not had a single problem with my RIA 1911. I've found it to be well made and very reliable. The accuracy is acceptable though my groups haven't been quite as tight as with other 1911's possibly due to the old style sights. I haven't figured out why but the RIA feels better in my hand than some other 1911's.

For over half a century the P.I. has been producing model 1911 .45's. and doing a damn good job of it. This is not some cheap foreign knock-off. RIA is the actual armory that produced arms for the Philippine army that fought side by side with U.S. troops in WWII. The worst that can be said about them is that they don't have some of the refinements that have been made over the years such as better sights, but they are in my opinion made to the same standard as any G.I. issue pistol of WWI through Korea.

The magazines are a bit cheesy in appearance and feel but the one that came with mine seems to function reliably. Any concerns in that department can be remedied by buying a few Wilson Combat mags.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The magazine that came with mine says "NOVAK'S ACT-MAG / PSI MADE IN ITALY". I bought two extra from my dealer because he said that other magazines didn't seem to work all that well in the RIA's he sold but the "NOVAK'S" ones worked fine. And he was right about the mags, at least in terms of the original and the exact replacements working fine. Between me and my son-in-law we have six and they all work perfectly.

I would not describe the magazines as "cheasy". They are polished and blued, appear to have a plated flat metal follower, hold eight cartridges and have holes in the side to view the cartridges (they are number 1 to 8 as well). The base is plastic. I see nothing wrong with them and I've seen my share of magazines over the years.... plus they work just fine.

I don't know what the problem might be with the sights as my mods included a BOMAR rib with BOMAR adjustable sights (on the rib, front and rear), which are beyond excellent for target shooting.

LDBennett
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Not sure what BOMAR sights and a BOMAR rib are but mine has what looks like the sights on very early Govt model 1911's. The front sight is fixed and the rear is dovetailed so might be adjustable, I'm not sure. My problem with the sights is more my eyes requiring a larger front sight blade and rear aperture.

My magazine is as you describe but in my opinion the gauge of steel appears to be very thin especially compared to my Para and Wilson mags. Just my opinion. As I said so far it seems to work ok.
  9. Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf New Member

I really would like to have a colt or Springfield arms 1911 but I don't really have the cash for one of them. A guy I work with showed me his RIA and I liked the weight of the gun. Thought maybe it will help with recoil absorbtion(sp?) and balance. I just wanted to make sure the gun was reliable and accurate...maybe even alittle buildable. I'm trying to take in everything you guys have to say about this gun and it all seems to be very good so far. Any other advise or knowledge about this gun is welcome .
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I made the above post on Saturday morning shortly after getting home from work. Saturday afternoon I ordered another Rock Island 1911. I ordered it from Centerfire Systems and had it shipped to my local gun shop. This one is in 9mm.
  11. Cuba

Cuba New Member

I'm going to attach a website that shows the RIA superior to the springfield GI the only advantage the springfield has over the RIA is that the RIA I believe is cast and the sprinfield is forged.
    Cuba

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=414414