Rock Island

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Hawg, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Got this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mag is made by ACT in Italy. It looks pretty cheesy and feels cheap. It works real nice but that bumper has got to go.

[​IMG]

Front and rear sights are dovetailed.

[​IMG]

No tool marks in here, everything is slick.

[​IMG]

Trigger has just barely a hair of slack, just a tad of creep but breaks clean around 3ish pounds with no over travel.

I tried some old hardball and LRN's and it fed both slickern snot on a porcelain doorknob. It doesn't like the LRN's. They printed in a horizontal string low and right. Hardball was dead on the money. Got some 255 grain Keiths here somewhere but can't find them. Want to see how they do before I buy a new mold.
    I'm not liking the one piece full length guide rod. The grips are pretty decent. The RIA grips I've seen before didn't cover as much of the grip frame and felt really weird. These feel pretty good but I'll prolly swap them out for checkered one of these days. I generally don't like an ambi safety either but this one is pretty streamlined so I guess it can stay.
    All in all I'm very pleased with it.
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

from what i understand, for the $$$ RIA 1911 is hard to beat... my son's friend just got one for Christmas and he really likes it...
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have two or them, a .45 and a 9mm, love both of them. Both shoot a little high to the right. The 9mm is at the gunsmith right now having new sights put on.
  4. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Nice 1911 I have a RIA and love it.
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

Congrats!
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Have any of you other RIA owners noticed that the feel of them in your hand is more comfortable than other 1911's? I have compared mine side by side to other 1911's and can't see a lick of difference but yet it still feels better, and I can't figure out why.

Anyway, nice buy Hawg. I know you'll enjoy that piece. I notice the FSB on yours is dovetailed. I wish mine was.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Probably because the cast frame is a little heavier than forged.
  8. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This was my first 1911 and I had problems with it feeding properly. After I made some minor adjustments to the ramp and kept it polished....problems went away.

The mag was crap and fell apart in a month or less. By some Chip McCormacks.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Mine feeds anything except empty cases.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Yeah, the mags kinda stink but thats a easy fix. Besides that they run well. Congrats
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well finally there is someone with the same observation I had. Awhile back I mentioned on another thread that the RIA mags seemed a little "cheesy". Someone kind of took me to task for that comment, stating they were typical quality for factory OE mags. In any event, mine has worked fine, though it has a fairly thin wall.
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I got rid of the fat grips and got these but with the matte finish it's like putting lipstick on a pig. They do feel really good tho.

[​IMG]

Then I got these and they look good with the finish and feel pretty good too. I know my groups tightened up by getting rid of the fat wood.

[​IMG]
  13. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Like the looks of the black!
  14. H-D

H-D Active Member

those pachmayers are the best
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I stopped by the RIA booth at SHOT show. To say I am impressed with the fit and finish on these 1911's is an understatement. I was amazed at the trigger, and the action and over all function, fit, and finish of the gun. The guys at the booth were all very nice and would answer any question you had for them. Plus they make everything from the basic GI model to the high end double stack comp sights race gun. Anyone on a budget and wanting a 1911 should look no further than RIA. Heck anyone wanting a new 1911 can't go wrong with RIA 1911's