Rock River Arms 'Poly' 1911- yep, a plastic 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by aa1911, Nov 30, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

2. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

ummmm no thank you. I want my pistols metal. Was only a matter of time.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm on the same opinion of this as plastic AR lowers; this is a gun designed with METAL, you cannot substitute another significantly different material and expect great results.

time will tell but I'll keep my JMB version just the same!

I don't completely knock plastic, there's a Glock on my hip as we speak... but it was designed that way from the get go...
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Wouldn't a polymer gun wear out more quickly with the same amount of usage? Polymer ain't steel after all.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Kimber made a poly frame commander sized 1911 for a while, didn't work out too great.
  6. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

There was thread in the Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun forum about polymer AR lowers, and I believe there was some similar caparison drawn. My opinion is the same, polymer is great, IF, the manufacture takes time to use superior polymer materials, and make sure certain aspect of the frame (All slide-to-frame mating surface ) are designed with sufficient tolerances.
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

sacralege!!!
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure the poly 1911 will function just fine....but not in my collection. ;)
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That's just WRONG!
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

About time... now I might consider one.

Hogger, the places where the frame and slide contact each other have metal inserts in them so there's no direct metal to polymer contact.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I remember when the Glock came out people were saying it would melt if left in a hot car ( swear to G**, a gun dealer told me that) and would never catch on. If it works and is durable, why not? Trouble is, we are so traditionally married to all steel 1911's, that even if it was the best thing since sliced bread there are those who would never accept it. I don't like Poly guns but I carry one because it is light weight, reliable and it works.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Polymer, like other modern materials, can work very well in guns but IMHO will work best in those guns designed to use it. The Glock is certainly capable of standing up very well, longer than many steel guns, but it is designed to use polymer.

Even allowing that the 1911 was way over-engineered, mainly because Browning had no way to measure materiel strength except to build the gun then shoot the heck out of it. So if a part, say, 1/8" thick failed, he just made it 1/2" thick. But all his work was predicated on the use of the best steel available at the time.

Will a polymer frame 1911 hold up? We shall see.

Jim
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I would try one if the price were right. I have no problems with my plastic AR lower.
  14. lead

lead Active Member

Bul, in Israel, has been making polymer 1911's for years, check the Bul M-5 line. I wouldn't be surprised if this Rock River is actually one of their frames. They seem to hold up, though I have no personal experience with them.
    I do know there's no price difference in polymer vs. steel in any I've seen for sale. In fact you can get a basic Rock Island 1911 cheaper then any of the Bul models.
    Count me in with the guys who'd rather stick with steel. Nothing wrong with the Polymer frames, just tradition.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  15. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

I won't knock the polymer frame until I try one. I have shot some old military issue 1911s that were absolutely junk. they rattled like a coffecan with a few bolts in the bottom when you drew them and they were less accurate than a homemade slingshot.