Rockola Carbine in .22 caliber

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wonderwhippet, Apr 5, 2004.

1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I have a good idea of what M1 carbines are worth, but this one has me stumped. It is one of those postwar Johnson .22 conversions which uses .30 carbine cases necked down to .22 caliber. It has a type I early barrel band, but all other features are late (adjustable sights, safety lever, etc.). I can't find it listed in the Blue Book. Owner is asking $550 but is flexible. What do they go for?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Too bad they didn't leave that Rockola as it was!

That price is way high, according to the Blue Book:

Iver Johnson Carbine, 5.7mm Johnson (Spitfire) Cal.

95% - $165
    90% - $155
    80% - $145
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

22 centerfire carbines

wonderwhippet, xracer,
    the iver johnson arms co. carbines chambered for the 5.7mm spitfire cartridge were manufactured from all new parts including new iver johnson recievers (1980's). the (mel) johnson 5.7mm caliber carbines (1960's) were manufactured using surplus parts only.

the price quoted for the 'rockola' conversion is probably at the upper limit for an original (mel) johnson conversion,unless it is one of the folding wire stock models.

the iver johnson carbines in 5.7mm, 30 carbine and 9mm are bringing at least double what is listed in the blue book and the 'enforcer pistol version' is bring about three time that much.
    b.goforth
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

....and you danged sure better be a reloader, cause them bullets AIN`T cheap by the fifty.

LTS
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i remember when the enforcer's went for around two bills ,and nobody wanted them
  6. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

Re: 22 centerfire carbines

The one I have is made by Johnson Arms. The barrel, receiver and most other major parts appear to be commerical rather than surplus parts.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

ohshooter,
    i guess i should have said that "to the best of my knowledge the (mel) johnson 5.7mm carbines were manufactured with all surplus parts except barrels". i was around during the time (mel) johnson was manufacturing these early carbine conversions (1960') and have not ever encountered one with any thing but surplus parts.
    on the other hand i don't calim to know everything.

i do know that when iver johnson took over plainsfield machine co. (mid 1970's) and started manufacturing 30 caliber carbines under their name they completely removed the markings on some of the surplus reciever's on hand and remarked them.
    b.goforth
  8. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

Hi,

I certainly don't know everything about these rifles either. It could well be that what I have is a mixture of commercial and surplus parts, in fact it would make more sense if it were. Why make parts when there were millions of them around that could be used.

If receiver was suplus it has been polished and blued, there are no markings on it other than "Johnson Arms, New Haven, Conn. M.M.J.-5.7" and the serial number"XXXA".

The magazine release has a "M" and "WA" on it and the stock screw that goes through the tang has a "32" stamped on it. I'd have to takeit apart to see if anything else was stamped.

I remember looking at one back in the late 60's and if I remember correctly (yeah, right!) it was one of the 256 Win Mag or Ferret models. That may have the name of the same cartridge but that was a long time ago.

I cringe when I think of all of the guns I should have bought back then. I should have spent more on guns and less on food, housing and women, it would have paid off better.
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

offshooter,
    the only carbines i am aware of that were manufactured for the 256 winchester magnum (256 ferret different name same cartridge) is the early production of the universal carbines.

if my memory is correct the 256 win. mag is not based on the 30 caliber carbine round. maybe somebody more versed in the cartridge can help out here.
    b.goforth
  10. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

The .256 Win. Mag is a necked down .357 Magnum. There were only a few guns ever chambered for it. Marlin had a lever action for it, Ruger made a single shot pistol, the Hawkeye, and T/C made Contender barrels for it. There may have been others but these are the only ones I know of. I have a Contender barrel chambered for it.

Last I knew the cartridge was no longer made but they can be made fairly easily.
  11. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

Marlin also had one of their Model 56 or 57 "Levermatic" rifles chambered in it.