ROHM Model 66 .22 Revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dglockster, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dglockster

dglockster Member

My uncle was given the revolver in the title line and pictured below. Does anyone have any information on this particular revolver? I have heard that some ROHM handguns are unsafe to shoot and if that's the case with this particular ROHM, I will tell him it's not safe to shoot.

The revolver is single action and there are three stops when cocking the hammer. I am familiar with half-cock and full-cock but not with a revolver having three levels of cocking. Any input on that feature will also be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks, in advance.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Well, your uncle got it at the right price.

The Rohm (RG) 66 was an inexpensive German-made revolver from the 1960's. Have a gunsmith check it out before shooting, but assuming it is in good shape it should be safe to shoot.

Value is minimal.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've seen some Rohm centerfire revolvers that were poorly made, but the SA Rohm .22s I've encountered were generally safe to shoot. +1 to having yours checked out.

On many older .22 SA revolvers the middle cock is to release the cylinder and allow it to turn freely for loading.
  4. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

The first click you hear is considered a safety position. It holds the the hammer just off the firing pin or the firing pin just off the cartridge underneath. The second click is considered the half-cock position and frees the cylinder for loading. The last click is considered full cock and is positiond to discharge the cartridge underneath the firing pin when the trigger is pulled.
    poppa0777 likes this.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Those are actually pretty decent guns. I've had several of them over the years. Inexpensive but fun plinkers.
  6. msheff

msheff New Member

I have one I use as a boat/truck gun. It is beat up but it is still very accurate.
  7. gnbrown97

gnbrown97 New Member

I know I am probably going to get a lot of "flack" back on this post, but here goes. You probably found out that Rohm mdl66 was safe to shoot! Out of all Rohm had the mdl 66 was one of their better products. The heavier caliber Rohms are the main culprits. They will fall to pieces after a few rounds,and the frames will disinegrate. My question is, do you have a manual/schematic/disassembly,assembly instruction? I have spare parts! Thanks
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Those are great little guns for the money. I've had several of them.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That safety notch (the first hammer position) was intended as a way to carry the gun safely with a round under the hammer. DON'T DO IT! If the gun is dropped, and lands on the hammer, the trigger will break/bend or the hammer notch will break out and the gun WILL FIRE. So always carry a single action of that type with an empty chamber under the hammer; don't ever depend on the "safety" notch.

Jim