Rohm model 66 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Southernpride, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Southernpride

Southernpride Member

I need sum advice. I took in a Rohm 22, model 66 from a friend to clean it up and check it over. He ask me to try and find a mag. Cylinder and I'm finding that to be impossible. So this brings me to my question. Would it be safe to drill out the cylinder to exept 22 mag. From everything I've read this gun was not very well made. The barrel says 22 mag but the cylinder says 22 Lr. So is drilling a bad ideah or ya think it will be safe. :rolleyes::eek:
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I definitely do not think it would be safe. Those Rohm's were not made for magnum cartridges. Likely it would blow up if it fired magnums.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The RG-66 was made in both .22 LR and .22 Magnum, but I think it would be a bad ideal. The Rohm was never a high quality firearm to start with and by modifying it you will be placing your self in liability if something goes wrong. Me myself and I, would not want to place myself in such a situation over a hundred dollar gun ( or less ), you already have doubts or you wouldn't be asking:).
    Southernpride likes this.
  4. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Member

IMO many people equate the Rohm 66 to the smaller DA Rohm .22 revolvers in terms of quality. Over the past 3 decades, I've owned and fired many Rohm revolvers models. And while it's true that they are certainly low quality firearms. The M-66 is IMO a FAR better gun that it's DA brothers. And it's pretty heavy made. They are heavier in weight than the equivalent German and Italian imports of the day. I've seen several that have shot VG and have lasted through many thousands of rounds with proper maintenance.
    The Rohm .38SPL isn't IMO really a "bad" gun either. Not a good one either. But also far better in quality than the small DA .22's. Which I concur are JUNK.
  5. Southernpride

Southernpride Member

I sure thank you guys for the input. I think to be on the safe side my buddy can just deal with the Gun as is.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I think that is the smart thing, there is nothing wrong with the .22 Long Rifle cartridge.
  7. poppa0777

poppa0777 New Member

DON'T DO IT! NOT SAFE!
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Welcome to the Forum, poppa0777. Is this something you have experience with?
  9. poppa0777

poppa0777 New Member

I am not familiar with the specific application, but, I do know that most of those attempting to modify the 22LR cylinder to shoot 22 mags have experienced frame damage from recoil.
    IMO it is dangerous.
    The best to you. Be very careful. I think this is why some gunsmiths put a modified gun in a vice and use a wire to pull the trigger.
    Additionally, the mag cylinder is heavier built than the 22 LR.
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Thanks for the explanation, poppa0777.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

ROHM GMBH dug their own sink hole and was unable to climb out. They were persuaded ( some one was fast talking ) that if they converted their blank firing revolver to .22 short ( the RG 10 ) they could clean up on the American market and apparently a bunch of them were sold for the very high price of 9 to 11 dollars { which was cheap even then }. Soon to be followed by the RG11 and RG12. Very cheap guns. I don't know of any reports of them blowing up, but they quickly got out of time and started " spiting lead", plus little things like the front sights kept falling off They did try to build and market better guns, I have read good reviews on the RG 22 series and up { well decent reviews anyway } ,but alas. by that time it was too late. the reputation of the early guns tainted the reputation of the later guns, the universal view by that time was " all Rohm guns were dangerous and junk " . Rohm gave up the venture ( the 1968 GCA pretty much killed their gun making ) and went back to making their blank firing guns and other merchandise. However a few American outfits, in need of ready cash made the RG 10 and 11 frames, imported all the other parts from Rohm and continued the saga. That in a short nutshell is the ballad of the Rohm revolver and little automatics.