Rohrbaugh 9 vs. Kel-Tec P-11

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by offeror, Jan 6, 2005.

1. offeror

offeror New Member

I've been reading about the new Rohrbaugh 9 and thinking, why spend a thousand for this gun and wait for it when you can get a Kel-Tec P-11 with ALMOST the same characteristics for -- what, $300 or less? Anyway, here's my comparison for CCW/pocket gun purposes:

P-11
    9x19 DAO
    Weight w/empty mag: 16 oz.
    Length: 5.6"
    Height: 4.3"
    Slide width: 1"
    Bbl. Length: 3.1"
    Mag. Cap. 10+1
    Trigger pull" 9+ lbs.

R9
    9x19 DAO
    Weight w/empty mag: 14.3 oz.
    Length: 5.2"
    Height: 3.7"
    Slide width: .82"
    Bbl. Length: 2.9"
    Mag. Cap: 6+1
    Trigger pull: ?

The Rohrbaugh's trigger, in the review I'm looking at, is described only as "long," "smooth," and "stiff." Sounds like it won't beat the Kel-Tec there, "smooth" though it may be. 9 pounds is still comfortable in a pocket gun, since you want enough resistance to avoid ADs without having to resort to lever safeties or tricks. The Glock NY trigger is 8 lbs. and the Taurus Millenniums use about a 9 lb. trigger, I think.

I've found that a half inch of height below a certain number makes little difference to me in a pocket gun, since it is usually found in grip length, something which I prefer an adequate amount of. So I wouldn't give the R9 an automatic advantage there either. When a grip is too short I wind up adding finger rests and such. As for width, since the slide does not appear to be the narrowest part of the R9, the grip area of the gun may actually be a bit wider than the Kel-Tec. With the R9 you do get 4 tenths of an inch less length, but also 4 less rounds in the magazine...not necessarily my favorite trade-off....

Another review of the Rohrbaugh stated that the gun must be properly controlled by a well-practiced shooter in order to fire reliably, because of its light weight. This certainly doesn't hurt the Kel-Tec any.

All in all, I'd say the Rohrbaugh may be worth the money in terms of craftsmanship, but the Kel-Tec isn't far off for those who don't wish to spend that much money on their pocket 9. Any other views welcome, of course.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

My Kel-Tec P-11 has been 100% reliable. This is my second. First one was 100% also. I carry mine a lot and never feel under gunned. Wouldn't pay extra for the Rohrbaugh.
  3. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

I've had a KelTec P11 for over a year and it has been a wonderful pistol.. My only complaint is that beyond what I call "self defense" distance it is not accurate.. BUT, anything with 5-7yards it WILL do the job. I have recently purchased a P32 just because i kept reading such good things about them. Rather than spend $800+ on a Rohrbaugh I would buy TWO P11's, a P32 backup, and burn up $100 or more in ammunition to "break 'em in".... Also, if and when you needed Customer Service you would find KelTec has a reputation for Customer Service second to none. Lifetime warrenty. The Rohrbaugh seems to fit a "non-existant" nitch in the small gun world. Of course there are people who will buy it simply because it DOES cost so much.. Years ago I decided to buy 2 NAA Guardians cheaper than I could buy 1 Seecamp. Everyone has an opinion about Seecamps, but to me the NAA products were just cheaper, IMPROVED Seecamps.. And now, several years up or down the road (depending on how you look at it) I find the cheaper KelTec p32 outshoots the Guardians. So, spend all you want but you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a lot of pistol these days.. Thank you KelTec... JMOFO
  4. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

I'd like to see Kel-Tec make a single stack 9mm and spend maybe $50-100 more on the details...That I think would be a real hot seller ;)

I've personally owned a P11 and shot another one, both were functionally fine, but a "tad rough"

I've also shot a P3AT quite a lot...it's truly neat, yet a little lacking also.

Right now I'm really looking at the Sub2000, It looks great, gonna try one out on Monday.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. Bill

Bill New Member

I have the Kel-Tec .380 and its an excellent cost effective CCW piece. Functions perfectly, shoots accurately for what it is. A friend with a P-11 hates the trigger but otherwise likes the gun.
    Bill
  6. JudgeColt

JudgeColt New Member

The Kel-Tec P11 has been my carry choice in its power and size category since it was introduced. (I have a very low three-digit that has been totally reliable for ten years now.) Compared to the Kahr, its only real competition, it is generally lighter and holds many more rounds. And it costs a lot less.

That said, the "value" of the Rohrbaugh is its smaller size. If the smaller size is important enough, it will be worth the higher cost. Only the buyer can decide that issue.

I agree that I would like Kel-TEc to some things differently, such as put a little more into fit and finish. I have modified a P11 to round off the slide and frame. I am still fooling with it, but it really improves the gun for pocket carry. "Expanding" the P3AT just enough to accept the 9x19 round would be a desirable move. That would effectively be about the same gun as the Rohrbaugh and would probably kill the Rohrbaugh since it would sell for about 1/4 the cost. I also keep hoping for a .45 about the size of the P11. (Taurus has one.)
  7. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

my friend also has a p-11,its a good gun but i cant stand the trigger pull,other than that its a good weapon
  8. offeror

offeror New Member

If you mean the Taurus Millennium P-145, I had one and I miss it. People ragged on it so much from their own experience that I never really broke mine in, but it was no bigger than a Glock 26 with a mag extension. I may have another 145 one of these days and wring it out for myself. As it was, I traded it in on a nice .30-06 at a gun show but you know how we are when we dispose of any gun we didn't hate... It starts to haunt us.
  9. JudgeColt

JudgeColt New Member

offeror, I have been waiting for the titanium P-145. It was in the catalog when the P-145 was introduced, but has never been put into production, unlike the titanium 9mm. I am still waiting.