The Firearms Forum banner

romanian SKS value?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  1952Sniper 
#1 ·
I found a romanian sks that is in so-so shape Im guessing the wood is 75-80 % and the metal is ablut the same. It has a bayo attached and a pinned flash hider (not welded) so the bayo wont hook into battle position as it sets now. there is a after market scope mount that is raised so the iron sights can still be used. there is a 30 rd mag that is detachable.
two questions:
# 1 what is the approx value he has it priced at 180.oo
#2how easy are the detachable mags to get/find and how expensive are they?

#2 ·
Well, $180 is about right. I would pay more for it if it had all its original pieces (like the original fixed magazine), and assuming that the scope wasn't drilled/tapped into the original receiver cover. All that sporterization crap lowers the value.

First thing I would do is get rid of that POS muzzle brake (flash hider is illegal). It's just going to screw up accuracy anyway unless it's welded on. Get rid of the detachable magazine too, as it's illegal to install on that rifle. It's a violation of section 922(r).

#3 ·
the gun in question is in a pawn shop in my area so it supprises me that the mag is illegal. the org fixed mag does not come with and I believe the scope mounts are drilled into the orginal cover. I will try to jew him down and see what he has to say about the mag?!?

#4 ·
Doesn't surprise me. 99% of people out there have never heard of 922(r). They only know about the Assault Weapons Ban. 922(r) has to do with importation restrictions, and it prevents you from modifying an SKS to be in the same configuration as a rifle banned from importation. SKS's with detachable magazines are not importable.

Check out this SKS FAQ Page for more info. It's packed with good information.

I'll bet that when you ask the guy about the detachable magazine, he gives you a blank stare or mumbles something about it being OK under the Assault Weapons Ban. Unfortunately, section 922(r) is not tied to the AWB and does not have a sunset date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.