Ronald Reagan....???

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by ofitg, May 9, 2011.

1. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Interesting excerpt from a recent article by Pat Shannan -

While campaigning for governor in 1966, Reagan promised to resist any effort that would take from the American citizen his right to own and carry firearms. However, in 1968, then-Gov. Reagan signed into California law the Mulford Act, which was the most sweeping and repressive gun control legislation passed in the United States to that date. This law nullified any citizen’s right to defend himself and banned loaded guns from any public street or highway in California unless the owner could prove he was in imminent danger of attack. (Who can possibly know of an impending attack, before it happens? Well, maybe one who is running from the cops.)
    Not yet satisfied, Gov. Reagan enthusiastically stifled the Second Amendment rights of Californians further by embracing the plan proposed by the federal Law Enforcement Assistance Administration (LEAA) that would eventually provide for the confiscation of guns. Gov. Reagan agreed with the LEAA to make California a "model" or pilot state for the entire country.
    Under the guise of "reform for criminal justice improvement," Reagan appointed and arranged for financing the State Office of Criminal Justice Planning.
    With a large office staff they were to be the task force to carry out the LEAA program of prohibiting the private possession of handguns by January l, 1983. He appointed the executive director and staff, who were responsible only to the governor. The Council on Criminal Justice and 17 subcommittees were also appointed to study this and report directly to the governor. Reagan was scheduled by these task forces to put the LEAA controls into effect by executive proclamation on December 31, 1974, at a time when most Californians would be more interested in New Year’s celebrations than in watching the machinations of their state government.

BEAT CITY HALL?

However, a committee of California patriots had been following every move of the Reagan gang the whole time, and they knew several weeks in advance of the planned proclamation exactly what was coming down. This committee, with Bernadine Smith at the helm, arranged a meeting with Gov Reagan in his Sacramento office on December 3, 1974.
    Mrs. Smith, the committees spokeswoman, said later that when Reagan was confronted with the committees knowledge of the proclamation, he feigned astonishment, bewilderment and innocence. In other words, in the mode of a typical politician, he lied.
    She said to the governor, "It is inconceivable that the LEAA and your own Office of Criminal Justice would have scheduled you to make such an important gubernatorial proclamation without first consulting you and obtain-
    ing your permission?
    Faced with irrefutable facts that seven months previously he had approved the plan and appointed a large task force to carry it out, and it was his own committee that had arranged for him to make the proclamation that would outlaw handguns, Reagan still insisted he did not know about the existence of plans for the proclamation. A professional actor with 50 years of training and experience, he wiggled out of the situation but was not convincing. Everyone there knew he was lying. However, because of the confrontation, the proclamation was not signed and the action was stopped, at least temporarily.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I never felt like Reagan supported the Second Amendment. Nor did I ever feel that he was a real conservative. He lowered taxes to a bare minimum and tripled the debt in his 8 years in office. He talked a good game about small government, all the while sold weapons to Iran and illegally funded and trained the Contras. And don't forget that Slick Willie was in on this one too. The Contras were also using cocaine profits to fund themselves. It was run in by Oliver North and the CIA through Mena, Arkansas - the state in which Bill Clinton was governor of and I refuse to believe he was ignorant to it all. He played his part and was rewarded with the Presidency.

And I don't know how many of you know your Bay of Pigs trivia, but a guy who was part of Operation 40 as a CIA pilot named Barry Seal was working as an informant to the DEA trying to uncover where the coke was coming from was gunned down in his car by a hit squad - probably Bush's Cuban friends - with the personal phone number of George H. W. Bush in a briefcase in his trunk.

A couple years ago an investigative journalist named Gary Webb began to uncover the connections to all of this to crack cocaine epidemic in LA during the 1980s. He connected a guy named Freeway Rick Ross to the Contras through a guy named Danilio Blandon. Apparently he died in 2006 with two gunshots to the head which was ruled as a suicide. Idk how you shoot yourself in the head twice at point blank range.
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I already knew that Reagan signed the Mulford Act in CA, the Cop Killer Bullet ban and the 1986 Machinegun Freeze while president, and that he lobbied Congress to pass the Brady Bill and the 1994 Assault Weapons ban..... but this story about his plan to outlaw handguns in CA was news to me.

Considering what we do know about Reagan, these allegations don't seem too far-fetched.

Some other interesting tidbits from Shannan's article - during Reagan's tenure as gov in CA, the state budget increased from $4.6 biliion to $10.3 billion, sales tax increased 248%, personal income tax increased 404%, corporation tax 160%, gasoline taxes 40%, welfare spending 43%, and property taxes doubled.
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhh ! ! ! Blasphemy ! ! !

Silence him ! Silence him !!!!!

;)
  5. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I'd never heard of Pat Shannan before, but I read that he wrote a book called Everything They Told Me Was a Lie.

I think I need to get a copy.
  6. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Well, there he goes again...
  7. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

Very interesting comments, however I'm ever the skeptical...

So, I have to ask:

Were the increases in taxes from bills he signed as law or bills that he inherited, perhaps even signed years earlier (a.k.a. obamacare not really kicking in until a few years down the road)

Does anyone remember Reagan ramping up to a 600 ship navy? That creates bloat in the budget (and that bloat is called "JOBS") by the unions. It's expensive, but that's also why people say he spent the Russians to death to win the cold war. Which honestly, I'll take that alternative over a hot war and flinging nukes around like a football... ANYTIME! on the other hand, we sure did botch the fall of the evil empire.

God willing they will be as accommodating to us as we were to them, however I find that hard to believe...
  8. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Interesting article here, how we propped up the USSR for 60 years -

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/the-communist-capitalist-alliance/blog-237599/

Reagan was at the helm when the USSR was finally allowed to collapse, and I'm glad he let it happen.

At the same time, though, we were helping Communist China launch their Post-Mao economy. Look where they are now.
  9. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

yeah, I see what you're saying. and my biggest concern isnt 100 million chinese turning into millionaires as they realize some twisted form of capitalism, it's 100 million chinese soldiers being activated because they need to secure the assets to pay off our "debt" which we as citizens surely never approved.

Anyone who thinks they cant do that should remember that the difference between our sat-kill and theirs was that we did it from a ship (in calm water, but still... YAY US!) and they did it from a land based platform. Either way, the target was destroyed, and in their case, hundreds of thousands of cubic miles of "space" is contaminated with debris moving at speeds which could destroy anything in it's path... our sats, theirs, anyone else's, the ISS, one of our shuttles (that we still have left to fly) etc etc etc

sorry, the point there was, we could be easily blinded, the more we rely on technology to fight wars, the weaker we are when it's denied to us. If they retain the same strategy that has worked for a couple thousand years, keep throwing bodies at the enemy until they run out of bullets and then stab the last one of them... uhhhhh that's a problem for us. :(

They are a real problem, if we were smart, we'd tell Russia, what do you want to do so they just kinda go away as a threat to both of us?
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

It is true that he had a hostile democratic congress that had no intention of controlling spending.
  11. ofitg

ofitg New Member

It's true that Dems controlled the House of Reps during the Reagan presidency, and Dems controlled the Senate during the last two years of his tenure..... I don't think the Dems ever had a 2/3 majority in either body. Reagan vetoed 78 bills, and Congress overrode his veto (apparently with Repubs help) nine times, including one budget bill.

According to what I have read, the budgets finally enacted were pretty much in line (within a couple percent) with what the White House had proposed..... but of course, what I found on the Internet might be vicious left-wing propaganda. If somebody can point me to data showing that the enacted budgets were significantly higher than Reagan's proposals, I would be thankful.

It seems that Reagan wanted to re-ignite the economy after the Carter years, so he slashed taxes.... and when the gov't spends a lot more than it takes in, the inevitable result is federal debt.
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  12. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a case in the Johnson Administration where the victim shot himself multiple times with a singl-shot .22RF rifle. Worst case of suicide I ever did see" in the words of an unnamed sheriff's deputy..... >MW
  13. Willie

Willie Active Member

I was a "Young Republican" back before Reagan was elected the first time. Went to meetings......etc....... Did not take long before I began to see what he promised and what he did were very different. Not sure if he just lied or if he just could not remember or care. But it is true he did way different than he talked.
  14. ofitg

ofitg New Member

MW, have you ever seen comedian Ron Shock' comments on that suicide?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRqyy-OQLHU

Sorry for the thread drift, but this was priceless :D