Rossi 92 Question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 45nut, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I have a Hartford Model 92 in .357 mag / .39 spcl. I have mostly used it for Cowboy shooting which is fairly close range with lower velocity .38's. Last weekend at TFF N Texas shoot, I was shooting it at 50 yards aiming at the "X" in the silhouette target and looked through my spotting scope and didn't see any hits. WTH?? Then I noticed someone was shooting at my targets head. Come to find out, my .357 125 gr JHP's were hitting about a foot high at 50 yards. My rear site was all the way down.

Any ideas other than replacing the front site? Would a different rear site do anything? I have thought about a lyman peep site or a tang site.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

You might try using 158 gr. bullets. I have a .357 mag / .38 Rossi model 92 also and it's a pretty good shooter out to 100 yds. I use all 158's though. I bet you'll find they'll bring the POI down to the POA. I'm not too surprised that 125's would fly high at 50. Otherwise, at 50 yds you'll have to use the ol' "ball on top of the post" aiming technique. That is to say, put the bullseye on top of front sight post not in the middle of it.

When I shoot I want the bullet to go right where I put the top of the front sight. Generally all my guns are set-up for that type of aiming, but at close range some require that I put the bullseye on top of the front sight post to get it where I want it. At longer ranges the bullet drops down to where I can once again use the technique I like best. :cool:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That .44 mag lever gun I was shooting came from the factory with the same problem, shooting high with rear sigh all the way down. I called Marlin and they sent me a new rear sight. I haven't installed it yet as my fix was a red dot sight, and I love it. I know you can't shoot that sight during the Cowboy shootoffs, but maybe the manufacturer could send you a new rear sight!
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

How would the new rear site help? Is is a different configuration?

Winchester Bob said I needed a higher front site.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

A higher front sight will work. Balancing the target on top of the front post will work. A different rear sight, with a deeper notch or slimmer profile will work.

I always sight in with the target balanced on top of the front post. This gives me more leeway when holding over for distance and doesn't obscure the target when hunting. That was what I was taught in the mid-fourties and it has always worked for me. I've tried other sight pictures, but the one ingrained in me from the beginning is the way I shoot when not paying particular attention to use a different hold picture.

Pops