Rossi-Braztech-Puma?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by vulcrider, Mar 21, 2009.

1. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

Ok guys (and gals!), I am looking for a lever gun for my wife in 357 mag. It is the gun/caliber that she is most interested and comfortable with. I know that she won't shoot as much as some and will just be for plinking, etc.
    My question is this: What is the connection with the Rossi, Braztech, Puma brands? Searching for any of the above seems to create a mix of suppliers that list the model R92 under all the names. Finding a Marlin in that caliber has proved fruitless and I've read/heard that the Braztech and Rossi's aren't bad guns for the price.

Anyone know the real connection between them? I can get a Rossi R92-56001 for under $500 but, am not sure just what I'm getting!
  2. doug66

doug66 New Member

I own a 20" Rossi 1892 in 38/357. Nice little rifle. I have heard that they are bad about breaking firing pins, and no customer support. I had a feeding issue with mine when I first got it. Sent it to Florida repair center, not a problem since. 10-12 years ago.

I think they are still made by same outfit, just has had three name changes. Don't quote me on that.

Get it, if she likes it. She will have a blast.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

Appreciate the info. Anyone else have any experience with these brands?
  4. allegory

allegory New Member

My .44Mag Puma right out of the box smooth lever action the size of a Winchester 92 .

Shoots without fail all kinds of .44 Mag ammo right on target.

I have gone to Marlins for ease of scoping but did add a side scope to the Puma and can co-witness iron sights.Pumas nice handy rifles.

Attached Files:

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back in the 70s (or thereabouts) Rossi, of Brazil, started making copies of the Winchester 92 Saddle Ring Carbine, in 357 and 44 magnum. I’ve been told, though don’t know if it’s true, that when Winchester quit making the 92, they warehoused the machinery, and when Rossi decided to start making it, they bought the old machinery from Winchester. So Rossi is built on the real deal. As I said, I don’t know that that is true, but they make a real close copy.

Rossi called their gun a Puma. Probably because there was a Spanish-made 92 copy that was very popular in South America in the 20s, called El Tigre (the Jaguar). The Puma had a kinda hokey-looking medallion on the side of the receiver. A puma’s head.

Along came Cowboy Action Shooting. Winchester 92s were quite popular, and the prices on shootable ones started to skyrocket. Rossi 92s started taking their place. Because people wanted the older calibers, Rossi started making them in 44/40 and 45 Colt. People wanted more than the plain-Jane SRC, so they started making rifles and short rifles. By the 90s, they had pretty much quit calling them Puma, and just called them Rossi. My first one was bought around ’97, and while the box said Puma, the gun doesn’t, and there is no cat head on it.

Interarms was the original importer. They went out of business, and RossiUSA came into being. They were also imported by Legacy Sports, and by Navy Arms. Somewhere, in this time frame, a top-mounted safety appeared, probably at the request of the company lawyers. When the last of the Brazilian guns were being made, EMF, in California, was getting theirs from Legacy (without the safety), while Legacy was selling them with their name on them (with the safety). Navy quit carrying them. RossiUSA changed its name to Braztech International.

Now, Legacy is still selling a Puma 92, but it is not being made by Rossi. It is being made by Chiappa, in Italy. Chiappa also makes the “Armi Sport” line of Sharps replicas that Taylor’s sells. Braztech does not have them listed on their website.

The Rossi 92 is a good gun (not a "good gun for the money", a good gun). I have five of them (357, 44 mag, 45 colt and two 44/40) and am extremely satisfied with them. All of my guns have gone to Steve Young, in Port Arthur Texas, for his action jobs. http://www.stevesgunz.com/ As with all modern guns, the hand-fitting isn’t there. To compensate, manufacturers use springs that are too heavy. Steve makes them work like Winchester used to make them work. Well worth the 150 or so that it costs.

I don’t know anything about the Italian gun being made now with the Puma name, except that it costs more than the Rossi.
  6. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

Taurus bought Rossi in the later part of 2008 and they also own Braztech. That is why Braztech is now handling the importation of Rossi 92 rifles.

GC
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I owned one in 38/357 several years ago. I considered it a quality rifle. It was, at that time, an inexpensive rifle, it was accurate and as Alpo said - a good gun. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one!
  8. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

Sorry guys, for the delay in getting back to this thread. Your info has been a great help in understanding this convoluted family tree.

I especially like that you have been honest about the guns. We all tend to think our guns are the best (because we own them!) but, I think you have told the truth about yours.

Thanks again.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I own a REAL Winchester Model 92 but it is not a collector gun. It has been re-blued and converted to 357 from 32-20 (not by me!). This was common in the 1960's as most gun stores had racks of lever guns, priced at $50 each, and converting the almost then extinct 32-20 caliber to 357 was very common. The gun handles well, is smooth in operations, and shoots very well indeed.

I also own several of the Browning clones of Winchesters, made in Japan. I have the Browning Model 53 (a 32-20 carbine), and a Model 92 in 44 MAG. These are excellent beautifully finished guns that shoot and operate very well indeed. I also have a real Winchester 1890 22LR pump that also is not a collector gun as it has been re-barreled and the barrel shortened to 20 inches. It is a superb gun that it very accurate.

I have owned several Marlins of various models and they are all gone (good riddance!!) as they showed very poor accuracy. I also owned a Rossi 22 pump Winchester clone that also suffered accuracy problems along with fit and finish problems. I currently have a Taurus Colt Lightning clone in 45LC as well as their Model 63 semi-auto rifle in 22LR. None of these guns compare to the Browning clones or real Winchesters for fit and finish or operational reliability or accuracy.

The point? Try to find the real thing or at least the Browning clones if you want to shoot these guns. A compromise in perfection for collectors may give you a real Winchester at a reduced price that shoots better than the Brazilian or Italian clones (got several of those, too). The Browning clones are beautifully made and usually are priced below collector Winchesters on the used market.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  10. pricedo

pricedo Member

My Brazilian Rossi is now a landed immigrant

Just acquired an Amadeo Rossi made Model 92 knockoff in .454 Casull / .45 LC and haven;t had a chance to range test it yet.

First impressions are very positive.

The gun looks solid with a smooth blue metal finish and good looking dark "walnut-like" stock and the action is a little stiff but functions perfectly.

Unlike some others I'll refrain from critiquing a gun that I've never fired until I've actually sent some bullets down range with it in my hands. :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work right off the bat I'll open the old tool box & kick start the lathe & make it work.....it'll be another project.

By the time the spring dandelions sprout that l'ill Rossi will have become all that it can be........not quite American but as close to it as I can make it.......the "Duke" his self wouldn't be able to tell the difference when I get finished.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i just aquired a winchester in 357 caliber and according to winchester i can reload this rifle up to around 2000 fps.it makes a good close range deer rifle. old semperfi
  12. pricedo

pricedo Member

The .357 Magnum at rifle velocities would be a good 100 yds. or less gun for deer.

Once I get my Puma in .454 Casull checked out I'd like to use it for elk and Maine and Canadian moose.

I'm going to develop a hand load for the spire pointed 250 grain Hornady FTX to work in the guns tubular magazine so I can stretch the guns potential out to beyond 250 yards.
  13. WyrTwister

WyrTwister New Member

Taurus bought Rossi , a few years ago , I think ? Both companies are Brazilian .

Rossi and a few other companies have made clones of the Winchester Model 1892 and have been imported and sold ( under different brands ) by several importers .

I have a Rossi .45 LC imported by LSi , called a Puma . Purchased 2 - 3 years ago .

LSI is nor switched to importing an Italian rifle , which I am told is more $$$ .

I have a Rossi .357 Mag , labeled BrazilTech , purchased around 6 months ago .

I love these two little rifles . They are relatively inexpensive to shoot with my reloads and home cast bullets . Very moderate recoil .

God bless
    Wyr
  14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister New Member

I also have a Winny M 1892 converted to .357 Mag . It belonged to my late Father-in-law . My brother-in-law gave it to me after the death of his Dad .

I have to disagree with you on the Rossi's . The 2 I have are fine ( .347 & .45 LC ) . Maybe I am just lucky . I do not expect the fit & finish to match the Japanese Winchesters , at a much higher price . We do not drive Caddies or Lincolns either .

But , each to his / her own .

God bless
    Wyr
    Happy New Year
  15. WyrTwister

WyrTwister New Member

Re: My Brazilian Rossi is now a landed immigrant

I considered buying one of those a year or two , used at Gander Mountain . Never could talk myself into believing I needed it . Just wanted it .

I already had a Rossi .45 LC and a Marlin .45-70 . So had no real need for a .454 . Also , I was frightened at the thought of the recoil from 100% .454 loads in that light a rifle . The Marlin has more weight to help soak up the recoil .

And the .45 LC has mild recoil , making it very fun to shoot .

But , different strokes for different folks . Hope you love the rifle .

God bless
    Wyr
    Happy New Year