Rossi M92 45LC

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BulletArc47, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I'm really interested in gettin' one, but read mixed reviews in-terms of quality.

Anybody here have this model and care to share their experiences?

Thanks!
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Rossi/Taurus guns suffer quality control issues, typically. Nothing major but just things not quite right. i have had several of their guns and each suffered accuracy problems compared to equivalent guns by others.

In the 1892 Winchester clone field you have many choices but not so many that are in the Rossi/Taurus price class:

Browning made 1892 clones in 357 and 44 mag for years. They were beautifully made, excellent fit and finish, actually finished and fit better than original Winchesters. They were accurate too. Finding a used one might be an option.

Today Winchester sells an 1892 clone, made by the same Japanese company that made Browning's 1892 clone (Miroku, I believe). It can be had in 357, 44MAG, 44-40 and 45LC but is a bit pricey. The bluing is dull, more in line with the originals than the Browning version which has bluing to kill for.

Then there are original Winchesters. Pristine ones are pricey but ones that have been lightly modified over the years are much lower priced as the collectors don't want them. I have a re-blued and re-bored (from 32-20 as marked on the barrel to 357MAG) that I got for a song. It shoots great and is prettier than any un-molested original. Back in the late 1960's many 1892 were converted to 357 and 44 mag as original black powder cartridge ammo's were impossible to find. One of these guns that was caliber converted should sell for a song.

The Italian clones fit in the same category as the Rossi/Taurus guns and are really a crap shoot for accuracy and fit and finish.

The people that really know which of these 1892's to buy are Cowboy shooters that compete in the Cowboy matches as these 1892's have to be the go-to gun for that contest. I can recommend the originals and the Winchester and Browning clones as I have them. I can also tell you that the Rossi/Taurus guns in general have problems in my experience. Do stay away from the Taurus copy of the Colt Lightning pump. It looks beautiful but has feeding reliability problems not even solved in the original Colt version.

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got five Rossi 92s. A 357, a 44 magnum, two 44/40s and a 45 Colt. All are excellent guns. I've used the 357 and both 44/40s in CAS, and they've stood up to it fine.

BUT (there's always a but, ain't there?), these guns were all made before Taurus took over Rossi. So, whether the newer ones are any good or not, I got no idea, because, pretty much, Taurus makes crap.

I suggest, if you wish a Rossi 92, to get in touch with Steve Young, in Port Arthur Texas, and order one from him.

http://stevesgunz.com/

Steve buys the guns, and then makes sure they work. Fixes anything that might be wrong with them. Steve has worked on 4 of the 5 Rossi, plus both of my Brownings and both of my Winchesters. A gun he's played with is just a joy to use.
  4. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

@LDBennet--Shoo! Nice man, really appreciate the detailed response. Unfortunately the Winchester clones are way out of my budget, same probably goes for the Browning (We all know how good their firearms are!) If I had the dough, I would definitively track down a used Browning in a heartbeat.

@Alpo-- Everything I've read/heard are mixed, the highs are angelic high, and the lows are really dead low. Most likely the positive reviews are people similar to you; though unaware that Rossi is owned by Taurus.

Any other experiences are most welcomed!
  5. HossFly

HossFly New Member

I've had several, 45lc, 44-40 & a couple in 357-
    Never a issue with any :cool: