The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Model 62 sa pump

46K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  tuckerd1 
#1 ·
My first post as a new member.........so be gentle !! I have just acquired a little Rossi model 62 SA pump action 22. It has a serial # of G203761.
I have several questions, which, I hope someone may help me with. First, I went to the "find my model" site on Rossi USA and they indicate the serial number shows no record........does anyone have any idea when it was manufactured? Next the reciever, barrel, magazine tube all look like either polished stainless or nickel plate, how can I determine which? Most, actually all, the stainless rifles I presently own are still "magnet" sensitive.
It appears to not have been shot a lot, something I plan to change pretty quickly, it is in pretty good cosmetic condition and while not the best in fit, finish and manufacturing tolerances I think it is going to be a fun plinker.I followed the link offered by a forum member in a post, and downloaded an owners manual ,so, thanx for that!
Thanx in advance for any additional help offered.

#2 ·
Well, it's older than mine. Mine is G273xxx. I checked all my Rossi guns on that site (6 rifles, 2 shotguns) and every one came back the same way. No record of that number. But all of my guns were imported by Interamrs, back around 2000. Rossi was a different company, then. There's a number on the site, to call, if the automated system doesn't help you.

A little info on them. They came in "rifle" (23") and "carbine" (16 1/2") barrel lengths. Blue or nickel. Round or octagon barrels. They only brought the stainless rifle in, in 1986, and the stainless carbine only in 1998. Carbines were only imported from '88 to '98. They discontinued importing the gun (all versions) in '98. Don't know when they started importation. Some years back, after Taurus bought Rossi, Taurus brought the gun back, but I believe it has, once again, stopped being imported.

#3 ·
Thank you for that ALPO, Mine too, was Imported by Interarms, as it is stamped on the barrel, and is a "rifle", as learned from your information provided. (23"bbl). Upon close scrutiny I now believe it is, in fact ,nickle plate.
Is there any idea as to it's value or simply "whatever you can get or have to give" for it?
Also,the stock appears to have a dark stain and clear coat or dark varnish finish. But looking closely there appears to be a very attractive grain beneath the finish and wonder if might not be worth stripping and refinishing in a more natural state. The finish does look to be original, and is not in bad shape, I just wonder if it might not be more attractive not so dark

#4 ·
i did have the smaller carbine pump at one time,shot the whole range of short,longs,and long rifle.i kept it only a few years letting my young neices and nephews shoot it.somehow i let one of them talk me out of it,dammit. they are neat little guns and a good value for the money old semperfi

#5 ·
No idea, really, of the value. I paid hundred and a quarter (I think), five or six years ago, and know I got a smokin' deal.

Something you may not be aware of, so I'll throw it out there.

First, there is no pump-unlocking device. The only way to move the pump is with the hammer down.

Second, there is no disconnect. If the trigger is back when the bolt locks in place, the hammer falls.

So, third, DO NOT try to unload the gun by holding the trigger back as you slowly work the pump, expecting the hammer to follow the bolt forward, so that you can just continually work the pump to dump the shells. It won't work. The gun will go bang.

People have tried to do it that way. Always surprises them when they shoot the dog, or the TV, or their wife.

#7 ·
Rossi 62? pump rifle...I acquired a break down Rossi rifle ser#G112647. I have looked this thing over and find no model number.This gun was still in plastic wrap and I do not think it has been fired. Anyone have and idea where to find the mod# and how much this gun is worth? I think I will give it to my grandson if it is any good. THANKS!!

#8 ·
I've never seen the model number stamped on one of these. The model # was printed on the box end label. I've had mine since 1979/80 - at least 10K rounds through it - works like a champ and is surprisingly accurate for a short barrel carbine. The longer barrel rifles are supposed to be at least as accurate.
Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

#10 ·
My stepdad was a professional gunsmith until new regulations in recent years made it that much more obnoxious to operate. I got my Rossi 62 from him. When it was still his, he put a peep sight on it. It works great. Took it to a range with a bunch of other guys from Church, and had no less than three offers to buy it. It wasn't for sale, and never will be. Lol. It was a Christmas gift from my stepdad the year he and my mom knew they were going to end up getting married, and was the first gun I ever owned.

With that peep sight on it, it actually outshot one of the original Winchester models that it was designed to imitate, which another of the gentlemen had brought to the range that day.

#11 ·
My stepdad was a professional gunsmith until new regulations in recent years made it that much more obnoxious to operate. I got my Rossi 62 from him. When it was still his, he put a peep sight on it. It works great. Took it to a range with a bunch of other guys from Church, and had no less than three offers to buy it. It wasn't for sale, and never will be. Lol. It was a Christmas gift from my stepdad the year he and my mom knew they were going to end up getting married, and was the first gun I ever owned.

With that peep sight on it, it actually outshot one of the original Winchester models that it was designed to imitate, which another of the gentlemen had brought to the range that day.
Nice story. I would like to see your rifle, but start a new thread to discuss it. This is an 8 year old thread and the OP has not been seen since 2010.

BTW, Welcome to TFF

Reactions: joe45c
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.