Rossi Model 971 - Stainless

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tonygrz, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Hi,

Just picked up a Rossi M 971 and I was trying to do some research on it. The Rossi website says that the M971 was blue with a 4 inch barrel. The M971 I bought (says M971 VRC on the barrel) it stainless, has a 6 inch barrel and it ported on each side of the front sight. Did I buy an unusual Rossi ??? Can anyone tell me more about this revolver???

Thanks in advance,

Tony
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

They made SS version also. They've varied the available barrel lengths from time to time, so they were available in multiple variations. VRC means you should have a vented/ribbed/compensated pistol. If not, then something has been modified/changed.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I had one of those back in the late '90s early 2000s - as Woolley says, VRC = vented rib, compensated - expansion chamber and porting at muzzle - mine had a 4" barrel and was a high polish SS. It was a dream to shoot and very accurate. In size it was very near to a S&W K frame. After a couple hundred rounds - the trigger was as smooth and crisp as just about any S&W revolver I've ever owned or shot. Mine was stolen in 2003, what's the serial number on yours????? LOL! Enjoy it.
    p.s. - the Model 971 (no VRc) was blued. All the VRCs were stainless, it was top of the Rossi line.
  4. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Thanks for the replies. Since I've sworn off semi-autos, this one is a keeper. Went over to the dark side (mega capacity semi-autos) but came back to my senses. Now I'm back to being a wheelie.

Tony