rossi revolver r97206

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by chuckpa1972, Dec 25, 2007.

1. chuckpa1972

chuckpa1972 New Member

hi
    am thinking of getting the rossi revolver r97206 in 357 mag for hunting whitetails. was wondering what the accuracy in this revolver is like? and if its adequate for taking whitetails at 50 yards or less? any info will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
    chuck
  2. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

I will let you know next week. I am in the waiting period to pick mine up tomorrow night . I have been impressed by the looks and feel of the gun, and the overwhelming positive reviews from those who own them. My wife gave me a belated Christmas gift, as I broke the bank last month buying her the Taurus 651 for home defense.
  3. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

I went out to the back yard yesterday and tried out the Rossi 972. I shot a tight group right out of the box. There is some noticeable recoil, compared to shooting 38 special plus p, but that is what you buy the big caliber to do. I plan on adding a scope before next fall and will hunt with it. The 357 should be adequate for white tails up to 50 yards. The trigger pull was a little heavy on double action, but like a feather on single action. I figure a couple of boxes through it and it will loosen up somewhat. I am quite satisfied with the purchase, and love the looks of that gun.
  4. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

Can you post a .jpg of that new 972? I was interested in the same model. How do you compare it to a S&W or Ruger equivalent, if you have one?
  5. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

I have never posted a picture on this forum but I will try. I have a Taurus 651 with a harder trigger pull, and I shot my brother in law's Ruger GP 100 and it was a harder pull as well.

Attached Files:

6. Cougarak47

Cougarak47 New Member

I have an older Rossi 357 revolver along with a Colt python . The Rossi is very accuate and fun to shoot. You might want to check your state laws to make sure the 357 is legal. I've heard some states require a larger caliber.
  7. dogngun

dogngun New Member

About 10 years ago, I bought a used stainless Rossi .357 Mag because it was cheap and I wanted to teach my wife how to shoot a handgun.
    It turned out to be a very good quality revolver, solid and accurate.
    I traded it in for something else-don't remember what- but I'd buy another in a minute if the price was right.
    Actually, I saw a Rossi .38 Spl small frame revolver last week that is pretty interesting.
    Internally, Rossi revolvers are patterned after S&W's.

mark
  8. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

I have a rossi 971 4 inch .It shoots single action better than my sons ruger security six,but has a little heaver pull shooting double action.All&all its a very nice gun.