Rossi snubby

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I struck a deal today with my old gunsmith buddy, and traded him two old shotguns that have been in my attic for well over 20 years, for a Rossi, 5-shot snub nose .38 Spl.
    This thing is virtually new, doesn't have a scratch or wear mark on it, and doesn't look like it's ever been fired. Box, paperwork and all come with it.
    It's got a nice smooth action, and should hide well, plus it's substantial enough to have some fun with it at the shooting range.
    Of course I won't get to shoot it for a couple of weeks since I have to file for a N.J. pistol permit which will take a week or so to get back, and my gunsmith friend is leaving for a hunting trip to Maine this coming Friday. So unless a miricle happens, and I get the permit back by Friday 3:30 PM..(when he closes his shop)....I'll have to wait until he gets back.....:rolleyes:
  2. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Hey Tony, hope you enjoy the Rossi. A buddy of mine has one that is his daily carry piece. He seems to like it and it does conceal easily. His is stainless and looks like a copy of a Smith J frame.
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Hydra Shok,

That's exactly what this Rossi is, a copy of the S&W J frame, except this one is blued.

Some good news.....I dropped my purchaser's permit application off to the local detective that handles them here, and he told me he'd get the chief to sign it and have it ready for me tomorrow.
    I'm not getting my hopes up too far, but he understands the situation with the gunsmith leaving on Friday for a week, so he just might come through for me.
    I could be shooting this snubby by this weekend.

The local police dept deals with this gunsmith on a regular basis, and dropping his name sometimes helps your credibility as far as getting permits through the local proccess....
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

All Rossi's were not created equal.

The earlier Rossi products imported by Interarms and Garcia are not as well made as the current Braz-Tech products. The early guns are still 'not-bad', just not up to the current quality.

Be cautious and go gently with +P ammo.
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well it just so happens that this one is the M68 imported by Interarms, and it comes with a warning not to use +P ammo in it. I wouldn't use +P in a snubby anyway, standard .38 Spl is plenty hot enough for a small frame, 2" barrel revolver.
    I've had a couple of .357 Magnums in the past, and mostly shot .38 Spl through them. I'd occassionally pick up a box of .357 Mag for kicks & giggles, but for everyday target shooting I saved myself a few bucks, and wear & tear on the guns by using .38 Spl.

The good news is, I picked up my permit Wednesday afternoon, went straight from the police station to the gunsmith and picked up my new snubby. Today I bought an Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster for it, and ordered a pair of Safariland speed loaders, and a double speed loader pouch from Midway...of course they are both on back order, but at least I got the gun and plenty of ammo to play with this weekend.......;)

Now I want a full size .357 Magnum....again.....:rolleyes:

A Colt Python would be a nice addition......:)
  6. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Tony, I'm glad to now that your "permit" went through like it did.
    The waiting is the worst part.
    The Phyton is a fine piece, I found however when I had mine, I shot it very little. I'm thinking a S&W 586-686 would honestly be a good choice.

here's a nice 1 for sale...
    http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5139431
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I still miss my 686. :(
  8. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Shooter, I bet if you'd call Tuck, ya'll could arrage some visitation... RIGHT Tuck? :D hehehe

the thing though... that wasn't your typical 686 :eek:
  9. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

That's a sweet piece Zig, and if I fell into a good deal on one, I sure as heck wouldn't walk away from it, but there's something about a Colt Python that has it's hooks in me. I learned an expensive lesson with buying guitars, when you have your eyes firmly placed on getting the Holy Grail, wait until you can get the Holy Grail. I pissed away a ton of money on a lot of different guitars, only to finally end up with the Gibson Les Paul that I always knew I wanted, and now my guitar buying habbits have finally been satisfied, I don't want to, and can't afford to do the same thing with guns.
    I thought about buying a lot of different .22's to hold me over until I could afford the Springfield M1A, but I waited, and now I have that M1A, and without a bunch of .22's sitting in the closet collecting dust.
    I wanted one good semi-auto, and I have the Beretta 96, and I want one good wheel gun for the range, and that...(I hope)...will be the Colt Python.
    The only reason I got this Rossi, is because I wanted one small, easy to hide packing pistol to hide in my truck, and hide on my person when my part time side job takes me into some of this area's ugliest nieghborhoods carrying cash, and driving a truck full of expensive home heating oil.

If I held a yard sale, and unloaded some of the useless junk I have laying around here....I could afford a brand new S/S Python, and a year's worth of ammo to feed it.......:eek:
  10. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

CCW Ammo Tip - You'll like the speed of the speed loaders, but you might want t try some Bianchi Speed Strips for even better concealment. Not has fast, but easier to hide. Just a thought.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you do decide to use the speed strips, practice a "mid-wheel" reload. Fire a couple of rounds, break open the cylinder, pick out the fired cases, stick in 2 new rounds from the speed strip and close the cylinder. With practice, this becomes pretty fast and you can lay down fire for a looooong time. Confuses h3!! out of the opposition. :D

Pops
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well, I put 150 rounds through this little South American snubby today, and it performed fabulously. The trigger pull is a bit long, but it's fairly smooth, and I was able to pin quite a few in the bullseye at both 15, and 25 feet.
    Then for kicks & giggles, I shot the steel plates with it, and did better than expected concidering it is a 2" barrel snubby with a fixed rear tunnel sight.
    One thing I did notice was the action started to get a little stiff after several rounds and it got a little hot. After I got it home and cleaned it, everything lossend back up.
    The gun was fairly dry when I got it, the previous owner had fired 5 shots through it, then stuffed it away in a clothes drawer for several years...he never cleaned it, or oiled it, and the barrel still had ressidue in it when I brought it home.
    Now it's clean and well lubricated with Mil-Surp LSA weapons oil.

Over all, I very happy with how this little snubby works....the only problem is.......I want a big wheel gun to go along with it....:eek: