Round nose .22 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by REISINGMOD50, Jan 30, 2010.

1. REISINGMOD50

REISINGMOD50 New Member

I have an older Iver Johnson M-1 .22 cal. semi auto carbine that will not feed the longer hollowpoint ammo that seems all that is for sale now. Is there any manufacturers that make round nose .22 anymore????
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

CCI and Federal still have roundnose .22s. I've noticed they are getting tough to find though.
  3. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Check championshooters.com for Eley Sports - one of the cheapest you'll find and they're pretty darned good, too. There are a lot available - but, at least in our area, you can't find anything on the shelves but high velocity hollow points - so I do mail order. I've also found some CCI standard velocity solid points at Sportsman's Warehouse - but it's hit or miss and they're more expensive.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

What HP rounds have you tried feeding it? The CCI MiniMag 40 Gr. round nose has no huge difference in profile to the CCI MiniMag 36 Gr. HP. This is an interesting topic and it has sparked my interest. I grabbed a few rounds I have lying around and took a comparison picture of them. From left to right, Winchester 36 Gr. HP (bulk box ammo), CCI 40 Gr. Round Nose, CCI 36 Gr. HP and then Remington CBEE 33 Gr. truncated cone hollow points (same TC design as the Remington Yellow Jackets with the addition of pre-stressed HP - the CBEE's won't load in a semi-auto but it's because they're underpowered). A LOT of people have trouble with the truncated cone design loading properly in different guns. The most ammo complaints I've heard about in a semi-auto are the Remington Yellow Jacket because of it's TC design. There's little difference in the CCI HP and Round Nose designs. Try the CCI HPs if you haven't already since they're easier to find than the CCI round nose rounds. pinecone is right. CCI still makes some good round nose ammo. :D

By the way, you mentioned that the newer HP ammo was 'longer'. The only HP I have seen that might give the perception that it is longer is the CCI Stinger round since it has a longer case but shorter projectile. Otherwise HP rounds are a big shorter. I'd be curious to hear what you're trying to feed that gun. :D

Attached Files:

5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Pinecone hoards those CCI roundnose .22s like a squirrel. :D

I don't think any of my firearms like those truncated HP .22s, you can tell from the picture that they are quite different in shape.
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

It's interesting too how blunt those Winchesters are. I guess I didn't realize how blunt they were because they feed well in my firearms. It puts things into perspective when you compare side by side. :)
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

It sure does, I had some truncated types I wanted to use up, the CCI is a whole different animal. I think my little bolt rifle will happily eat anything, but the rest are fussy and have expensive tastes ;)
  8. REISINGMOD50

REISINGMOD50 New Member

Thanks for the info. I am using Winchester and Federal .22LR rounds. They APPEAR to be longer and will not feed but now that you have proved that they are not longer, apparently the feed ramp in the breech may be too seep and the hollow points are catching on it. I have had this gun for many years and it fired thousands of rounds flawlessly with RNL, which was what was mostly available back in the 80's. I have thought about getting the ramp reduced but most likely getting RNL ammo is the cheapest and quickest solution.
  9. REISINGMOD50

REISINGMOD50 New Member

Yes, I think the HP are too blunt. I have a Colt CAR-15 with a .22 converson kit and it gobbles up HP rounds with only an occasional feed jam. Again, the CAR-15 I have is about 25 years old and again, RNL was the only ammo available at reasonble prices then.
  10. millman

millman New Member

I bought a brick of CCI Blazers the other day. They are LRN.
  11. garydude

garydude Member

What might be the issue is the overall length of the bullet/case combo. I have a hi standard .22 that I cannot use winchester ammo in- horrible quality control. Every third round will not fit into the magazine clip because it is too long. Not a problem with remington or federal rounds, and haven't tried CCI yet.
  12. Joe M

Joe M Member