Royal Arms Works Side by Side

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by john1958, Apr 11, 2003.

1. john1958

john1958 New Member

Thanks!
    I sent him the answer.

Next question: Do you know anything about Royal Arms Works (Belgian) side-by-sides with exposed hammers? If so, I'll post info and pics.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I've been known to have a bit of information here and there on old shotguns...

Post away.
  3. john1958

john1958 New Member

Royal Arms Works (Belgium) Shotgun

OK, here goes!

It's .12 gauge marked: JL 1812 LAMINATED STEEL BELGIUM (barrels?). Under the handguard is a JL under a star. Also under there is a 1 and a 3 in different spots. The bore is rust pitted in places, especially nearer the breech. The buttpad is plastic (post WWII replacement?). Everything seems to work, even though I have not shot it. The owner has, though. Somebody has slapped some varnish on it, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

We need to know a possible time frame it was made, and any Collector value and resale value. BTW, the info you gave me on the RRB was satisfactory to the owner.

Thanks again in advance! John

Attached Files:

4. john1958

john1958 New Member

Another view

Another view

Attached Files:

5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

That gun is a typical late 19th century Belgian import. Literally millions of them by various makers, but of the same basic pattern, were imported into the US to satisfy the demand of the growing frontier. We see them being imported well into the early 20th century, even up through the Great Depression.

There is no collector interest in these, and their value is based solely on what someone will pay for a mantle decoration (usually tops out at $200).

A very important caveat: these guns are absolutely NOT safe to shoot with any form of modern ammunition. Even if tight-as-new, these guns were not designed to handle the pressure curve of even 'low-brass' modern shells. I realize that some intrepid souls do shoot their old Belgian laminated-steel doubles with careful handloaded black-powder shells but I would not recommend even that.
  6. john1958

john1958 New Member

Again, thanks! I'll relay this info forthright.

Until the next question, take care. John
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

While such a wallhanger in pristine condition could possibly sell for $200, an average specimen in so so condition usually changes hands for about $75 or so.