ruger 10/22 .22LR to .17 mach2 coversion

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by focusmaniaczx3, Jul 31, 2011.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

just wondering if anybody knows of anywhere else that sells the conversion kit to go from a .22LR to a .17HM2?
    http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html
    that is all i could find but they dont sell them anymore. i would really like to convert my 10/22 to shoot those little boogers. also i hear tell that there is a 10/22 out there that shoots .22 magnum? i just read that a few minutes ago and havent looked into it yet but that might be something for me to snag at some point. any feedback on those if anybody has one?
  2. grumpy66

grumpy66 New Member

The reason those conversion kits are no longer available is the fact too many of them blew up.
    But there are some folks that have had SOME success with conversions (check over at rimfire central).

If you want a .17, buy a .17.

#2/ Yes, Ruger made a 10/22 magnum (I wish I could find one)
  3. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

I have one of those 10/22's converted to 17 hm2 - MRI carbon fiber barrel and heavy bolt - tack shooter - I love it! Got a deal on the barrel that I couldn't turn down - have had no problems with it!!!

PS - MRI - Magnum Research Industries

OH yes - at one time Midway had the 17 barrel!
  4. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

really? well it couldnt possibly be too spectacular of an explosion. its just a .22LR after all! that is kind of sad that the conversion doesnt work out too well. i have too many rifles as it is so the idea of being able to have an extremely accurate small caliber rifle and a plinking rifle in one is very nice to me. but oh well. i think ill just find a .17hmr rifle maybe. i still would like to try the conversion on the 10/22 and take my chances. i wouldnt cry too hard, its not like i couldnt find another so long as i still have a face left afterwards.

what exactly was it that was blowing up with the conversions?
  5. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

I used to see the 10/22 magnums pretty regular a while back when I was still young enough to be taken to gunshows by Dad & Grandpa, but ever since I realized how freakin useful one would be, I haven't even heard a whisper of one.

also, i seem to recall some cases rupturing w/ that 17 mach 2
  6. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Do a search on this site and you will find considerable info; prob enough to answer all your questions. For the record, I never heard of a gun, gun bbl or bolt "blowing up". The bolts would open too fast, the case would split and crap would fly........Proper conversions can and are being made but with more work required than changing the bbl.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

focusmaniaczx3:

The problem with the 10/22 conversion to 17HM2 is the 10/22 is too crude for the fast pressure spike of the 17HM2 cartridge. Many converted 10/22 suffer excessive head space which leads to blown cases, and the subsequent jams. Manufacturers of barrels and guns figured this out years ago and do not offer these conversion barrels, nor is there any new semi-auto in 17HM2 on the market. Those that were converted used the barrel for the bolt 22 Ruger that happens to fit the 10/22.

The conversion requires a heavier bolt, correct headspace, and a heavier recoil spring. It has been done correctly and successfully by some gunsmiths but a bunch of these conversion project ended in failure because the home gunsmith did not know how to achieve success.

If it is one accurate rimfire you want then go with the 10/22 with a match style barrel in 22LR. They can be made to shoot extremely accurately. I have a 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel, stock and trigger system stuff that will shoot with almost any good bolt gun (Anschutz target guns will out perform it). But the price you end up paying removes the gun from the cheap category and for the same amount of money you could buy a better Anschutz bolt gun (entry level varmint, for example). Of course you would give up the semi-auto feature (DUH!).

I have a CZ452 Varmint in 17HM2 and find that a good 22LR gun will shoot with it for accuracy. Now if you are a hunter the 17HM2 does shoot flatter. I found the 17HM2 cartridge disappointing. It was expensive to shoot and barely bettered the accuracy 22LR. Hunters might not agree with me. I think CCI/Hornady over hyped this cartridge and the truth came out over time and the cartridge is headed for the ethers eventually.

I always suggest steering away from converting the 10/22 to 17HM2.

LDBennett
  8. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

focus:

Check with your smith on the cost of setting your headspace to .043, install a magnum bolt hndl and get a recoil buffer and have the time of your life.....you don't get great dependable accuracy from a 10-22 shooting LR ammo unless it's some type of match ammo which is mostly as expensive as the 17m2; it dang sure wont come from WalMart. The problem I had was the mach2 rims blowing off due to the headspace built in to the bolt face. If you want to get real picky, your smith can experiment with hvyer hammer springs or recoil springs. Bbl makers mostly quit making them because of the extra work involved and the cost of same to the customer to make it safe and reliable (once it was realized it was not just a matter of changing bbls). Obviously you can quickly reach a point of diminishing returns for your money but if it's what you want, go for it. The last 2 I did here were with relined fac bbls (to keep the weight down) and the cost was 700.00 for the pair. Not cheap but they are shooting the daylights out of them and lovin it.........
  9. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

yep way too much involved and way too much money needs to be spent on it to do this conversion. thank you for all the info you guys. ill just keep the 10/22 for plinking and ill buy a .17hmr for sniping little varmints with. it will be cheaper and simpler that way. the only obstacle i will have to overcome is figuring out what to do with so many rifles.

can anybody suggest a decent .17hmr that wont break the bank but still does pretty good for accuracy? im going to start poking for myself but i like to have outside input too.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

A friend of mine wanted a HMR that would outshoot his Dads.....I have never owned one but told him I would look at the Savage. He found one with a T-hole stock and proceeded to give his dad a spankin' (hearsay only, I was not there). He's very happy with it. On a final note, the 10-22 has too much headspace built in it for even 22LR ammo (if you are after optimum performance) which is why everyone who shoots matches either buy aftermarket bolts and bbls (like LD did, I think) or have someone rework theirs. The fact that they're so easy to work on at home is the very reason there are so many aftermarket suppliers for them.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

the only obstacle i will have to overcome is figuring out what to do with so many rifles.

That is a horrible dilemma! I feel your pain. Fortunately, I run a home for orphan and unwanted rifles. You can ship them to me (at my expense) and rest assured they will recieve the love and care they deserve. I'll even send you monthly pictures of them, so you will know they are being treated well, and God Bless! Frosty
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one of the EA Brown .17 barrels/heavy bolt conversions quite a while ago and found it to be easy to convert and a very good shooting gun. I have never had any problems with it at all. The 17Mach2 ammunition seems to be getting scarce and expensive when you do find it. I am glad I bought a few bricks of it when it was $3.95 a box.
  13. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

HA! tempting! but ill just have to get another bigger safe. ive been wanting to get a hefty boy for years but keep on beating around the bush about it. that might just have to be my christmas present to myself this year.
  14. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

oh and 17 mach 2 isnt all that scarce. cheaper than dirt has some and it isnt the most expensive that ive seen by any stretch. but the HMR does have alot more variety available and it is also the obvious superior round so that is the way to go for me. i was looking at some savages actually. are you talking about the bottom of the line deal that runs about $170 new? i cant remember the model of it but i remember seeing it online yesterday when i was browsing.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

The one I saw was in the high end....had a hvy bbl and Laminated wood stok t-hole. About 269.00 or so if I remember right.
  16. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

bolt action i assume? thats not bad for a decent 17 i wouldnt think. might have to look a little more in depth at it.
  17. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

JSC had them (Jerrys Sport Center). It was a very good looking rifle. Yep; bolt action.
  18. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

unfortunately the nearest JSC to me is a 8 hour drive. i went in one once in pennsylvania i think and it was nice. ill keep my feelers out for one, who knows i might stumble across one in a pawn shop for $150 like i did my remmy model 700 .270 lol