Ruger 10/22 barrel changes

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by forcerecon22, Jul 4, 2010.

1. forcerecon22

forcerecon22 New Member

hay there folks ive recently gotten very interested in ruger 10/22 customizations
    ive been researching for a while and learned that they once had a ruger 10/22 in magnum form but they had ended that in 2006
    i really would have liked that magnum
    so im wondering if it is possible to get a 22 magnum barrel for the 10/22
    if i could what other changes would have to be made
    thank you in advance
  2. SCOTTYDOG

SCOTTYDOG New Member

Not as simple as just changing the barrel. 22 Mag's are quite a bit longer than long rifle. Magazines are much larger, consequently, the magazine well is bigger and the internals are different. Best bet is to try and find a 10/22 in magnum. Sorry.
  3. forcerecon22

forcerecon22 New Member

thank you very much and i was wondering if there are any magnum recievers that i could just buy online and have then shipped to a dealer
    because the point of me wanting the ruger is to customize it
    but if that wouldnt work do you know how much a ruger magnum would cost
  4. forcerecon22

forcerecon22 New Member

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Ruger has started and discontinued the 10/22M at least 5 times that I know of due to continuing Fail-to-Extract (FTE) problems.

It's got a lot to do with the bullet...the .22WMR was meant to be a bolt/lever/pump-action round...as semi-autos have had massive problems with it over the years.

So far, only a few companies have ever made reliable semi-auto's in .22WMR...
    GRENDEL : Discontinued in 1994 due to that @#$&* Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban.
    The Grendel's are probably your best bet...IF you can find one at a decent price...hard as heck to come by these days. Grendel made three .22 WMR semi-autos...the P-30, the P-31, and the R-31 carbine & all had 30-round mags!!!. They kick fuzzy buttock!! Only hiccups...use CCI hi-po rounds and keep the mofo CLEAN. Kind of expensive at auctions...best prices found at pawn shops

AMT Automag II, previously owned, but hated as it didn't cycle very well, so it went bu-bye. Now made by High Standard in Texas. I've not played with the HS version yet.

The Excel Accelerator Pistol & Rifle comes in .17HMR & .22WMR for around $400, and have a Barrel Switch kit for an additional $150. BUT, it only holds 9 rounds...What the heck good is it to make a 9-round semi-auto when the real benefit of small rounds is making hi-capacity EASY?? They are, however, so new that little feedback is available as far as reliability.

Keltec is making the PMR-30, but I have yet to receive mine for testing.
    George Kellegren of Keltec designed the PMR-30, Intratec-9, & almost every Grendel pistol.

Remington's 597 in .22WMR has had more blow-ups than Ruger's LCP's.

Marlin made the 922 until 2008, and dropped it due to low sales...but I'm still looking for one :D

H&K model 300 .22mag semi-auto rifle. Haven't experienced it.

Brno model 611 .22mag semi-auto rifle. Ditto.

Harrington & Richardson Model 700 .22mag semi-auto rifle. Ditto.

So...basically, the best options currently made is the Keltec PMR-30 in Pistol...
    and the Excel Accelerator Rifle.

Previous to that, the best I've found were the Grendel pistols & rifle (P-30/P-31/R-31) and the Marlin 922.

Good Luck :D
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Probably because they were experiencing similar problems to what Remington was ;) KABOOM!!
  7. forcerecon22

forcerecon22 New Member

thank you very much for this information it has helped alot
  8. big steve

big steve New Member

Agreed:)