Ruger 10-22 Bolt Buffer

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Neverhome, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I just purchased an Archangel Stock for my 10-22 (review posted in the feed back section) which came with a polymer bolt buffer. I had never heard of one prior to ordering the stock but my understanding is it reduces the amount of shock to the scope when the bolt if blown back. It replaces the metal one that comes stock on the Ruger 10-22. I installed it last night but started wondering today what happens if it degrades over time. Will the bold blow back through the receiver housing? There is no way to check on its durability without removing the action from the stock which means having to rezero every time it is checked. Am I better off putting the metal roll pin back in? Does the buffer make that much of a difference on a .22?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Neverhome
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've never worn out a steel bolt stop pin...or hammered out the receiver where it goes into (since the Al is the softer metal it'll get loose first). But I've only put about 15,000-20,000 rounds through a single 10-22 too. Have had several but that's the longest I've ever used one rifle and it was used when I bought it. :)

A friend of mine put a Volquartson action kit in one of his 10-22s that also included a buffer rod to replace the pin. The first thing you'll notice is that there is one less metallic clunk when the action cycles, so yes the bolt does contact the pin when you use standard HV ammo. It does help quiet down the action and eliminates one less wear point and shock per cycle.
    This is in his daily carry farm rifle, so it gets daily occasional use besides our fun sessions. It was kitted at least 8 years ago. Still has the original buffer rod and it didn't look that bad the last time I seen he had it apart for cleaning.
    There's a lot of contact area on a 10-22 so it's not like there's one or two sharp edges that'll chop up a buffer.

I'm guessing that you'll have that action out of the stock for cleaning many times before you'll need to replace that buffer.

edit:
    Can't say that I've ever had a problem with zero-shift when removing the action for cleaning on a 10-22 either but I've always used a full-floated barrel so the only contact point with the stock is the action (and it's only held in by one screw so the action had better fit the stock pretty well to ensure consistent accuracy).
    If the action fits the stock properly and the barrel is free-floated it'll drop back into the same place
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Thanks for the info Bindernut. I'll give it a try. I only run about a thousand rounds a year through it and you are right, I will tear it down to clean it so I can check it then.

Neverhome
  4. Skipper

Skipper Member

Neverhome, at that rate, your Grandson might have to replace it. :D
  5. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Skipper,

He is only 19 months old but you can bet his name is already on that rifle and a few others:thumbsup:.

Neverhome
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Neverhome, you'll feel the difference with the buffer in there, you don't hear or feel that "clack" when the bolt cycles, and it takes a lot of rounds to wear one out. Yellow Jacket makes one that has a lifetime warranty.
    If it makes you nervous, they make one with a steel pin in the center too.
    http://forceproduction.com/shop_online/code-7/index.html
  7. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Trap 55,

Thank you. That is the perfect solution. I tend to be over cautious when it comes to safety. This offers the best of both worlds.:dancingdots:

Neverhome