Ruger 10/22 cleaning question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by polamalu43, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I agree, a patch worm is all I ever use.:)
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dont know if they are better but they sure make cleaning easier. You can add Hoppes or CLP to the snake. I add Hoppes in front of the brush and Clp to the rear of the snake.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

not better.. just as good.. on .22 rimfires... but where the boresnake shines is it brushes and patches all in one pass. And on a .22 rimfire all thats ever in the bore is powder residue and lead fouling which gets taken out within one or 2 passes of a bore snake rather than 4 or 5 passes with a rod, brush, and patch...
  5. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I tried the boresnake....worked great! What a difference from trying to run a rod, jag, and patch repeatedly through the barrel. I put a little Ballistol in front of the brushes, and a little oil on the end. So much easier. Now I can start to break in the new barrel. Thanks everyone for all the good info. You are all awesome.
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

U should when ever possible clean from the chamber first,U do not want to damage the muzzle! Bore snakes are the best,they are made in all different calibers!:D
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Something else to keep in mind with .22s...the patches are key. I have purchased patches that are labeled for .22s only to find they are a tad too big. It's amazing how little initial force it takes on the rod to put a patched tip in the bore that will take tremendous, rod-bending forces - pushing or pulling - to remove. Make sure that the corners of the patch, when folded back along the patch tip, aren't long enough to overlap any part of the rod or rod-diameter portion of the tip. A patch that is even slightly too big will jam itself in there like a golf ball in a garden hose. (And I am very sad to say I am not acquainted with a woman who can get one out.)
  8. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

A cleaning rod made of brass or aluminum CAN'T harm the bore or crown, regardless of which end you use it from.
    Some prefer to drill a hole in the back of the 10/.22 receiver, so a rod can be used from the breech end.
    I use my own version of a "bore snake". It's a piece of masons' line, about 5' long, with a loop tied in one end. I run the line thru the bore from the breech end, then bring the loose end back and run it thru the loop for about 6". Add a patch in the loop, then wet it with oil or solvent, or keep it dry. As the whole thing is pulled thru the bore, the loose end of the line goes thru as well, so I don't have to manually insert it thru the bore for each pass.
    2 patches with Hoppes, followed by one dry patch is all it takes to make the bore shiny clean. I cut the patches pretty large, so they pull thru hard.
    There are several little tricks one learns about 10/.22's over time. For me, it just makes them more interesting and enjoyable.