1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

ruger 10/22 finish question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Paistemage, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Paistemage

Paistemage New Member

I'm going to get a Ruger 10/22 for target practice.

Anyone have any experience with the stainless finish? I know stainless is corrosion resistent, not rust proof.

I like the look of it, but wonder of long term hold up of the finish. I like the synthetic stock versus the wood,I think that will hold up well. I like the stainless look because it has more of a variety to the color of the rifle.

I am new to firearms. This will be my first weapon.
  2. Paistemage

Paistemage New Member

Mainly looking for any possible deterioration in the finish as compared tot he regular black
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of all the possibilities for the surface finish of Ruger 10/22 guns as supplied by Ruger but I can give you my experience when I Volquartsenized mine.

The receiver was painted black aluminum. I bead blasted the paint off and left it aluminum in the raw. That was done at least 10 years ago and the receiver still look good. The barrel was a Volquartsen stainless steel heavy match barrel left in the raw. It too has changed little in the interim. I also bead blasted the aluminum trigger assembly and it has held up fine too.

If you chosse to do the same then be aware some of the trigger guard assemblies, as I am told (?), are no longer aluminum but plastic. Also the gun must be stripped completely down to bead blast the parts and pieces. The tiny glass beads get into every nook and cranny and will totally gum up the action if not blown out first then washed out with Simple Green and water. All the glass beads MUST be out of the parts before reassembly.

LDBennett
  4. Paistemage

Paistemage New Member

Awesome thanks. I personally like the stainless look, that is definately a process you went through!
  5. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Regardless of it being silver or black, the Ruger receivers are all the same - aluminum. On the "K" models, it's the barrel that's stainless.
  6. Paistemage

Paistemage New Member

7. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I have a SS 10/22 by Ruger. Its a great little rifle, and has held up well for the 5-6 years I've owned it. it doesnt get babied, but I also keep it well "greased" just for my own satisfaction. Excellent weapon for an excellent value! Until you start throwin mods at it! Then its prolly easier to look at Magnum Research. They have a few sweet match grade packages that dont break the bank... Well it might break the bank to shell out a grand, or more all at once, but geez.. Ive put close to 500 bux into mine, and it still doesnt look all tricked out! But it drives tacks at 50 yds. every single time almost! Hahaha! Fun guns, and great firsts too! You will be very happy I'm sure!
  8. LDBennett

When you buy the Ruger target model you miss all the fun of creating a good shooting 22 rifle. My Volquartsenized 10/22 didn't cost $1000 because I did the work myself and did not put parts in it that were for looks. Every part I changed was to make it shoot and work better. And it certainly does that! It will shoot 1/2 inch groups off the bench all day long. My Anschutz bolt gun (two stage triggered model 64 Varmint) only slightly beats it at 3/8 inch group averages. I have about the same money in both guns but I MADE the 10/22 and that gives me satisfaction.

LDBennett
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I have a rubber band gun that will shoot 1/2" groups all day long too.:D
    You'd probably get me on distance though.:D
    Just kidding around LD. I just can't help it! Hey, just noticed your local. Apple Valley here!

Paistemage... I have Marlin 60's in both blued and stainless finishes. BTW, I also happen to like the look of black stock on stainless. Anyway I think the stainless is more durable and scratches are not as evident unless you're right on top of it, but in the end longevity and looks are all relative to the care and treatment of the gun. One of my blued 60's looks as nice as anything else I own, it looks new at 25 years old.
    Terry
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. LDBennett

Terry:

Duh...... I forgot to say at 50 yds, not two feet. :) :)

I guess we are neighbors. I'm on the Mesa. Do you belong to the Apple Valley Gun Club? I do but only use the range and never participate in any of their activities. I am too busy with family for that. I try to get there weekly with my shooting partner but this year I am not even close to that... illness, bad weather, trying to get two independent schedules together, etc.. But I will try to do better in the future.

LDBennett (Lynn Bennett)
  11. Paistemage

Paistemage New Member

Thanks so much guys. I'm actually looking at a 240 dollar version, then if I want to upgrade odds and ends, I will.
    The idea that there are options with customization is an attractive idea. I am pretty excited.
    I am already thinking about the NEXT firearm. It's kind of like tattoos in that respect I guess!

I like the fact every small part could be replaced. I would assume you could build one with damn near no factory parts, from scratch! THere is a multitude of options, styles, and mods you can do. The limit is your personality, it seems, anyway.
  12. Chinook

Chinook New Member

My old man said no matter what.. With a 10/22, you can spend about 50 bucks on a couple of the most important(So says some old guy! Ha!) parts for consistent, 50 yd. plinkability.

I chose Power Custom for most of my drop-in parts... But had I known about Volquartsen, I woulda gone with those parts. My dads 10/22 is slick, it is kind of a show piece for the brand nowadays! Geez!

But I first bought the PC Competition Hammer for 35, an 11 or 12 dollar Titanium Extractor, and a buffer from Midway for 8, or 9 bux. Im also really glad I got the extended mag. release too. Put me at 60-70 bucks including shipping from Midway if I remember right.

Here is a "package deal" that Im interested in if I can get my grubby little hands on my friends 10/22 later this next week.
    Seems like a good deal...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=716391#productTabReviews
  13. LDBennett

If it is a complete makeover you are after (barrel, trigger parts, stock) it is less expensive to buy a used 10/22 as the basis for the work as most of the gun's parts will be discarded. The aluminum receivers just kind of hold the parts together and play only a small part in the ultimate accuracy of the finished 10/22. So there is no reason a well used example can not serve as the basis for the modified gun. There is little reason to buy a new 10/22, then modify it.

LDBennett