ruger 10/22 question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by JUNKKING, May 9, 2009.

1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

A small hardware store by me has a 10/22 with a wood stock it has been there for quite a long time it has a price tag on it 219.00 is this a god price for these. They seem to be a popular gun I think I can have him do better on the price. From what I read on the forum there are a lot of modifications that can be done to them. What types of mods are they talking about? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JUNK
  2. pawn

pawn New Member

Not sure where you live, that price is probably ok for a plain jane entry level 10/22 OTD.

The mods are about limitless/mind boggling :confused: ... almost to the point where if it exists on a stock 10/22, there is at least 1 aftermarket version available as an "enhancement". Trigger jobs, stocks, barrels, extactors etc. etc.
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

4. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

You can modify a 10/22 to the point where you may very well not have any original parts still on it :)

$219 is reasonable - I bought my plain jane wood 10/22 for $189 but that was last years pricing at a big outfit.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Buy it, then go here www.rimfirecentral.com You will be amazed at what you can do with this rifle. They have some 10/22's that look like AR-15's, or Thompson .45 auto's!
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My 10/22 only has the receiver, the bolt, the recoil spring guide and spring, and the bolt handle remaining. All else has been replaced with after market parts and pieces. It will shoot 1/2 inch average groups at 50 yds all day long. I particularly like the Volquartsen parts. But I have nearly as much invested in it as I do in my entry level Anschutz Silhouette rifle which shoots tighter 3/8 inch average groups at 50 yds and has zero modifications, and on the 10/22 I did all the work myself!

LDBennett
  7. sarzak

sarzak New Member

assume it is the std carbine model. if you plan to go crazy w aftermarket parts, look for a used one which you can often find for around 125. i am not "into" the whole 10/22 fix up deal, but i have a deluxe sporter w the checkered walnut stock ithink i paid around 250 for 2 years ago i put tech-sights on it(ar-15 type) its super fun. the checkered walnut stock is well worth it if you plan to keep it..er..."stock"
  8. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

Our local Walmart has one for $197.00 so your price isn't too far off as long as it's a new one.

I just purchased an all weather 10/22 with the stainless barrel, synthetic stock and a Tasco 3x9x32 scope already mounted from a co-worker for $160.00.
    :)

I'm thinking about an aluminum bullpup stock conversion for it as long as the price isn't to outrageous.
  9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Just out this weekend having some fun....

[​IMG]
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Dirtypacman the rifle you're holding in the pic looks to be the same model at the hardware store.
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Yup its the basic wood version... no bells, no whistles, no special barrel, or trigger.

The only addition I made to it was mounting the Nikon 3x9 on there.
    I was shooting clay pigeons with it in for fun on Saturday.
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Dirty, clay birds flying or on a stand? If you're shooting them flying you have a way faster point of sight than I do. My Brother and I along with two Uncles used to be avid trap shooters when I was in my teens. I even got a chance to shoot at the Grand American Trap Shoot in Vandalia Ohio when was 15. Didn't do too good there 81 birds out of 100 and that wasn't even close to winning even a box of shells in the Junior division.There were some real good young shooters there, Although I do have a few 150 straight patches from my local club we shot at.
  13. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I should have been clear - I by no means can take credit of hitting flying clays with my 10/22 (thats what my Beretta is for) They were up on stands down range.
  14. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member

Scheels All Sport near me has plain Ruger 10-22 Carbines for $189.99.

The one thing to look for is the newer versions have Plastic Triggers, Plastic Trigger Housings / Guards and Plastic Barrel Bands. I believe you can tell them apart as the Receivers have sort of a Krinkle Finish Paint on them unlike the older ones.

I've been working on two Ruger 10-22's this past winter and spring, customizing them if you will.

The first is for my nephew. He bought a used Ruger K10-22T (Stainless-Steel / Bull Barrel / Laminated Stock). He liked the stock I used on my Custom Ruger 77/22 better than the Factory Laminated Stock, so I found a really great buy on a used Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock and sold him on the net. We then totally stripped all the parts off of his 10-22, and cleaned everything thoroughly. In additition I also polished the bore with Flitz Metal Polish. We then free floated the forend on the Volquartsen Stock, mounted up a Scope and went to shooting.

[​IMG]

We are not totally done with it as yet as my nephew sent off his trigger group for modifications. He is getting a complete trigger job done as well as the auto bolt modification. He has also changed out the scope since the above photo was taken, and his rifle now has a Mueller 4.5x14x40mm AO Riflescope on it.

The other 10-22 I have been working on is mine. I bought a used plain jane 10-22 for $100.00 (with a scope on it) from a friend. I immediately shortened and recrowned the barrel at 17", while also removing the front sight. I then set to work modifying a TAPCO T-6 Stock to fit this 10-22 in. I didn't like the blocky forend on the TAPCO T-6 Stock and started modifying it so I could attach a round AR-15 Aluminum Carbine Length Free Float Tube to more closely resemble and feel like my Bushmaster AR-15.

[​IMG]

I also preformed the Auto Bolt Modification, Bolt Chamfering Modification as well as doing a complete trigger job on it also.

I am super pleased with how this 10-22 turned out. It actually does feel like my AR-15, and I am totally pleased with how the shortened Factory Barrel shoots.

With 10-22's the sky is the limit (well you wallet that is) as to what can be done to them.

Larry
  15. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

You might want to jump on that 10/22 especially if it has been there for over a year. The new ones now are being built using plastic parts (The trigger housing and the Barrel band) and the new finish on the barrels and receivers aren't anywhere near as good as the previous rifles.

As far as what you can do to modify and improve accuracy, the options are almost limitless. There are thousands of after market parts that can turn a stock 10/22 into just ablut anything you can imagine. I've done 2 of my own one classic sporter and one tactical and both started out as the same little carbines that Dirtypacman is shooting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  16. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

17. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Larry in SD and NY marksman I love those laminated stocks. Did you guts do those yourself I mean the deep shiny finish. I have a Browning BT99 single barrel trap gun that has a shiny stock like that and it had to be my favorite finish of all my guns. I guess I'm part monkey I like things that shine. Those are beautiful rifles you guys have there I wouldn't mind having something like that in the future. I also noticed the longer magazines. Do you just buy those or does there have t be a modification to the gun to accept them apposed to the small mag that comes with the gun. I'm way new to the 22 rifle scene and never really modified nay of my own guns other than my Mark III ruger which I did a volquartsen accurizing kit to. You guys really have me hyped on this now. Thanks for the posts. JUNK
  18. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member

Not a 10-22 but I also put together a Custom Ruger 77/22 this past winter.

[​IMG]

I started with a Ruger K77/22RP Stainless-Synthetic Rifle and sold the original Barrel, Stock and Scope Rings on the net.

I then installed a Clark Custom Guns 20" .920" Stainless-Steel .22LR Bull Barrel. Clark Custom Guns uses Lothar-Walther Barrel Blanks and a match chamber of reamer of Clark's own design.

I had my heart set on a Richards Microfit Laminated Rifle Stock but did not want to deal with the 13+ week wait and then have to finish it on top of that. I ended up buying a Volquartsen Custom Laminated Roll Over Cheekpiece Stock for my 77/22 project.

To convert my 77/22 from the Synthethic Stock to the Wood Stock I also had to purchase a Trigger Guard, Magazine Well and Action Screws for a Ruger K77/22VBZ. These items came with Ruger's Target Grey Finish so I had to polish it off exposing the shiney stainless-steel that now matches the Barreled Action.

I also used Ruger HIGH 1" Stainless Scope Rings to mount the Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle.

I spent hours honing and polishing on this trigger and after making a custom trigger spring I now have a super crisp & smooth 1 1/4 pound trigger that is perfectly safe. I also installed an over travel stop.

All in all this is a Rifle I have wanted to build for many years and finally was able to get it done. I am totally impressed and pleased with the way the rifle turned out.

Larry
  19. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Larry, that is one FINE lookin' rifle!
  20. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member