Ruger 10 22 receiver finish problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pinkerpv, Jun 1, 2008.

1. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

I recently purchased a 10 22 stainless w/composite stock. I took it to the range last week for the first time and fired 50 rnds thru it. When cleaning it later I used some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It marred the finish on the receiver. Afterwards I realized the receiver finish was painted. I was very surprised although in hindsight I guess I should have realized this earlier. I had assumed the finish on the receiver was some sort of hardened finish similar to a parkerizing or something else. I called the Ruger Customer Service and explained the problem. The representative was very nice and said to send it back to Ruger and they would refinish it or replace it. By the quick way she responded I gathered this problem was common or at least not rare. I haven't sent the rifle back yet but will probably next week. Anyone else had this problem? What did Ruger do about it and what did the returned rifle look like?
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

Do not plan on a fast return. Ruger is not nearly too interested in their customers these days! Two to four months ism y guess based on experience. And, yes the finish on some, not all, are too easily damaged. Yet, their competitor's guns survive a good spraying with Scrubber!

My old (two decades +) 10/22 has never had a problem. I am careful with my new model.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The receivers are aluminum, and it sounds like they are clear-coated, rather than clear anodized. You could just scrub the rest off with steel wool.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I built a Ruger 10/22 out of a well used Ruger and a collection of Volquartsen stainless parts and pieces. The receiver was bead blasted and use in the raw, so to speak. Aluminum without being anodized is subject to oxidation but once the microscopic oxidation stops it generally stays at that point without further appearance changes. I did this several years ago and the receiver looks as if I did it yesterday. The ozidation of the surface is clear and not visible. It the aluminum gets a small scatch it is not noticeable because the underlying metal is the same color as the former surface.

A clear coated bead blasted surface looses it sheen to the coating. It is an entriely different look than raw bead blasted metal. I would not use steel wool to remove the finish on your receiver as it leaves fine visible scratches. Bead blasting leaves a very fine pebbly looking uniform surface that is more satifying to me. Nothing more than normal care is required unlike clear coatings that can be attacked by some cleaning chemicals. Even clear coated powder coating can be attacked by aggressive cleaners as I found out the hard way on a motorcycle project.

LDBennett