Ruger 10/22 Reliability

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by E-Rez, Mar 29, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I've been having some problems with my 10/22...The gun fails to fire (sometimes have to manually cycle up to four rounds to get it to fire), and occasionally doesn't fully eject the spent casing (gets pinched in the action). Is this normal on these fun little boom sticks?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

no not common at all. How clean is it. Action and all, not just the barrel. The 10/22 is one of the most reliable 22 semi autos on the market. I have about 50K rounds through mine. Only time it ever runs into problems is when it needs a complete strip and cleaning.
  3. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

The thing is spotless...I'm very picky when it comes to cleaning guns. No gun ever goes more than a couple shooting sessions without a complete cleaning. The only thing I can think is maybe there's too much left-over oil in it.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    numerous questions to ask,have you used a different mag and had same results,when you say ftf is there a dent is rim of case that looks indented enough to have fired,have you tried different ammo such as mini mags,etc,is the ftf on first round or anywhere during empting of mag.need more info to give you any idea how to fix old semperfi
  5. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Just have the one magazine that came with the firearm. Yes, there is a dent in the rim of the case during a failure to fire (the same round will then fire through my other 22). It will fail to fire randomly throughout the magazine (and sometimes it will go through the entire mag without a hiccup). The only two brands of ammo I've used are the bulk Federals and Remingtons purchased from Wal-Mart.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've not had good luck with either of those options. Remington's rimfire ammo in particular has a terrible reputation.
    I've had much better luck with the bulk Winchester and with CCI ammo
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

My 10/22 has only had a half dozen failures in 29 years of service, far too many rounds fired to even estimate. Each time it failed I cleaned it. Yep I leave it dirty. I've only ever used the factory mag.
    All fails were using Federal Lightnings. They foul the action terribly and I've had the exacr ftf you describe. May be a problem with primer quality?
  8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I shoot 2 of them. The only time I have a problem with either, is when someone else "cleans" them.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

As I was reading through your post I was saying to myself, Uh-oh someone is using the cheap Remington Bulk crap!

Forget using Remington Golden Bullets in the bulk packs, they'll give you nothing but trouble. I have 5 - .22's, two of which are 10/22's, and none of them will digest the Remington crap. FTF's are about 10-15% and poor quality ignition is another 10% on top of that and forget about any accuracy from the ones that do fire normally. The FTE's and stovepiping are a result of poor and irregular ignition of the powder in the rounds.

Get yourself a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor for your 10/22, it's a $10 modification that will cure your gun of all extraction issues. It's a 5-minute upgrade, easily performed by even the most unskilled gun owner.

Federal 550 bulk packs from Walmart have worked quite well in all of our .22's. They aren't as accurate as say "match" ammo, but they are reliable. :cool:

ETA: Read the letter from Remington regarding their cheap crap ammo at the following link:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76074

It's incredible to me that Remington is aware of the problem, but does nothing to correct it.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I shoot the Federal bulk much more often than the Rems. Out of all my bolt 22s I noticed that the Rem bulk had trouble firing...some sounded so weak I was afraid the bullet didn't leave the barrel!

But a lot of the malfunctions with the Ruger are with the Feds.

I will look for that extractor.
  11. wpage

wpage Active Member

B4 you go crazy try the better ammo route...
  12. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

But if I install the $10 extractor would I be able to shoot the cheap ammo?
  13. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Not necessarily. The poor quality ammo still may not fully slide the bolt back enough to properly eject. The extractor will help though to make sure the brass gets out after firing good ammo. My 10-22 likes CCI ammo best.
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor will fix the 10/22's tendency to stovepipe and most FTE's, but nothing can make up for crap ammo that doesn't have enough ignition to blow the bolt back far enough to eject the round out of the gun. I will say that since we installed the Volquartsen extractors in our 10/22's and quit using the Remington stuff we haven't had any more problems with any of the .22 ammo we have used including the other brands of bulk pack ammo like Federals and Winchesters. :)
  15. shawnc

shawnc New Member

deffinatly stay away from the federal ammo i tried it 1 time and 1 time only and when i did i had alot of problems with ftf and the final insult was that one of the round went off in the chamber and blew the extractor off of my gun.