Ruger 10/22 Reliability

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by E-Rez, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    The money saved isn't worth the aggravation of trying to get through a box of so called Value Pack bullets. I shoot Remington Golden Bullet but in the boxes of 100. Only rarely do they not shoot and rarely do they fail to eject. The cheap stuff has been relegated to plinking duty out of revolver or single shot rifle. Lesson learned.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

Ruger MKII/III Pistols and 10/22 rifle use the same extractor. They are notorious for being crappy and causing stove-pipes. IMHO, if you are getting stove-pipes it is not due to the ammo but instead the extractor.... it is letting go too soon.

Others have mentioned the exact edge extractor. That is excellent advise for your rifle. Make that modification and you can shoot about anything, that has been my experience with MKII and MKIII and also a 10/22. Enjoy your rifle.

Mark
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yesterday was a beautiful day in SW. Florida, so I went to the range with my three .22 rifles to do some shooting. I took a new box of Federal 550 with me and managed to empty the box before I went home.

I was happy to see I was getting dime-sized 3-shot groups at 50 yards with all three guns. Both 10/22's I have are still using the standard tapered barrel. One 10/22 is from 1969 and is totally factory stock except for a VQ extractor and extended mag. release. The other 10/22 is a 2008 model s.s. All-Weather that has been played with a little.

Out of the 550 bulk-pack rounds I fired, not a single round failed to fire or eject. Not bad for Wally World cheap stuff. :cool:
  4. pawn

pawn Active Member

That is a good time in my book :D

5. pawn

pawn Active Member

All rounds are supposed to go off in the chamber, that is the plan. Sounds like your chamber might be compromised, that can cause the blow-out condition you are describing.

What type of firearm are you shooting?