Ruger 10/22 replace front sight

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tonygrz, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Hi,

Need some help/advice on how to remove the stock front sight on a ruger 10/22 so I can replace it with a new sight for the peep sight I put on the rifle. Do I use a brass pin to drift it out?? How difficult will it be to run the new front sight into the groves??

Thanks,

tonygrz
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Front sight is easy. Brass drift, pad barrel in a vice and tap it lightly. Be careful with the rear sight, the blade here can be easily broken if the drift slips up and hits it.
  3. PetahW

PetahW New Member

It's easier, if you have access to a sight pusher tool - but if not, the brass pin from an old household inside door hinge makes a good, non-marring drift.

Support it firmly as posted above, and remember: Drive from the RIGHT to TIGHTen (ejection port side), and drive from the LEFT to LOOSEN - aka, righty-tighty/lefty-loosey. :D

4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

+1 Using the sight pusher makes it an easy job. Don't use anything steel, make sure you use a brass drift punch. I've had a couple I've had to cut out of the dovetail because bubba used a steel punch and "peened" the sight into the dovetail.
    Like Petah said, drive the old one out left to right, install the new one right to left. The lower you have the brass drift on the side of the sight, the easier it will come out.
  5. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Thanks to all for all the great help. I finally replaced the front sight and it went as you all said - easy.