Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Inspector Calahan SFPD
    (3/17/03 1:32:17 pm)
    Reply Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi All:

Pros, Cons ??

Thanks.

Calahan.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/03 1:41:09 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Both are great guns.

The Ruger has more aftermarket parts.

Marlin advertises the mod 60 as the best selling 22 in the world and is the cheaper of the two.

Get the one that feels best to you both of them are good guns.

I would pick the Marlin. In my experiences they are the more accurate and dependable gun as they come from the factory. Styling and looks are also better. Of course the accuracy portion of my opinion does not count when the Marlin is compared compared to the tricked out Ruger 22's that are very popular (aftermarket parts). The Marlin also holds more rounds in the tube feed magazine and no clip to lose and get dirt/mud in..

Just my opinion,

like I said they are both good guns. Get the one that feels the best for you.

bigboom338
    (3/17/03 11:12:47 pm)
    Reply Re: Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60
    883,Does the Marlin still hold more rounds or have they limited that to 10 rds also?Calahan ,also it depents on what you want the rifle for.The Ruger is much shorter and it is easier to break down for cleaning if you were going to hunt with it.But as 883 said both are excellent guns.
    "Aim small miss small"

gram22
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/03 8:59:16 am)
    Reply Re: Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60
    The Marlin 60 holds 14 rounds in it's tube, while the Ruger 10/22 holds 10 rounds in it's factory magazine. However, high capacity pre-ban magazines can be bought for the Ruger 10/22 giving it a capacity of up to 50 rounds. These magazines are unfortunately not as reliable as the factory magazine, and can go for some pretty hefty prices.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/18/03 9:13:27 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60
    The older Marlins hold 18 and newer ones 14. Many of the Marlins i see going for $50-$75 on the auctions are the older ones that hold 18.
  2. Youngguns409

Youngguns409 New Member

this seems to be a big debate in alot of forums.. in my opinion they are both great guns... for different uses... and depending on how much money your willing to throw into a gun to make it what u want it to be... for the casual shooter i would suggest the m60... its not the most expensive gun.. but it is well worth the money and with proper care will last a lifetime... if your shooting competitions.. and have the money.. 10/22 with lots of aftermarket junk will eventually get u where u want to be...
  3. zpatagus

zpatagus New Member

That debate was apparently going on 5 years ago by the date on the posting.

I have both and prefer the Ruger.
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I'm a Marlin Model 60 fan and have been since I was 11. I'm on my second one and it's doing just fine.

The Ruger looks nice and is handy but, I'll stick with my #60.
  5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Have had them both for over 30 years, well 25 for the Ruger. Both good shooters. The Ruger's a bit more to my liking. Kinda like an M1 carbine. They're so affordable, get both. TJ
  6. Rikkn

Rikkn New Member

Have owned several of both, still have 2 Marlin 60's.....nuff said ;)
  7. Mike1951

Mike1951 New Member

I have two 10/22's, one tricked out and one very early, unmodified Deluxe model.

I don't particularly care for either one.

I'm really envious of my buddy's SS/laminate Marlin. I will buy one if I get the chance.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have had several of each gun... they are both fairly accurate, the ruger's werent as reliable as the marlin though, the marlin wasnt near as simple to clean but i managed. the ruger however felt better on my shoulder. the comb on a marlin is a tad too high for my without a scope. one thing i like about the marlin is the tube magazine, but the ruger's magazine is faster to switch out when you're out of ammo and need more quick... lets say when you see that last fat squirrel posing for you. i've had 3 rugers and all of them would fail to eject 1 out of 75 to 100 rounds. the marlins however worked well as long as they had lubrication... even pretty dirty. exept i did have one marlin that jammed consistantly due to needing a relpacement feed ramp. the ruger will hold its value better i think than the marlin.. but the marlin comes with a heckova warranty. 5 years. so if you're gonna wear it out quick you cant go wrong with that.

~john
  9. necro1234

necro1234 New Member

Hi, I got a Marlin Model 60 from a friend who asked me to give it a good cleaning for him, It was in flithy condition but I stripped it down and cleaned everything giving it a very light lube (like I do on my Remington 870).
    One "problem" (I think its a problem...) I see is the brass ammo tube is super tight, I cannot unlock it and remove it with just my fingers but need pliers or at the very least a rag to get grip on it.

I thought maybe there was rust in the tube, I checked down it and gave it a very good cleaning as well, but the brass tube is still super tight.

Is it meant to be like this?, if not has anyone had this issue?
    Any advice would be really appreciated as its a really nice lill firearm now that its all in good shape, this last issue is just driving me nuts.

Thanks guys.

Sheldon
  10. Mals9

Mals9 New Member

Check to see if the inner or outer tube is bent. Typically the inner tube should slide right out with little resistance.
    Mals
  11. slickab

slickab Member

I have had both for quite a while. The Ruger 10/22 is more accurate. If anything goes wrong with the Marlin trigger/hammer group most people can not fix it due to complexity and large number of parts. Very hard to work on. On the other hand the Ruger trigger/hammer group has very few parts and is very easy for just about anybody to work on. The Ruger is a smarter design due to its simplicity and reliability. I love some Marlin firearms. However if it were to come down to hitting the woods camoed and pockets full of magazines and bullets, a pocket knife with a screwdriver, in survival mode, the Ruger 10/22 would be my overwhelming choice of any semi-auto .22lr. I know, I know that sounds crazy but you would be amazed at the number people who would choose the .22lr in a situational crisis. The 10 round flush fit magazines work better than tube fed. You could clean the Ruger in a creek, not the marlin, too many very small parts in the action. JMO. Ab
  12. necro1234

necro1234 New Member

Thanks Mals, I can only think that its got a very slight warp.
    I can see by rolling the brass inner tube that its not 100% perfectly straight but not to far off.
    Once it slides in past the metal weld it seems to start rubbing, Ill have to see if I can get something to try and straighten it somehow.
  13. striker777

striker777 New Member

Marlin 60's I think there great and pretty accurate guns, I put a Tru Glo red dot on one and a Simmons 22 Mag 3x9 on the other both shoot empty shot gun shells at 50 to 60 yards a bit harder with the red dot the 5 MOA redical covers little targets like that at 50 yards.
    Great for my two boys for plinking,squrrels,rabbits etc, but I never owned or shot a 10/22 should check one out JMO.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 60 all the way...unless it's a Marlin 795 :)

Complex & hard to work on?? A 1911 is more difficult...LOL

Takes about 15 minutes to do a D&T trigger job...makes the trigger adjustable with a setscrew...

I've seen more complex single-shot rifles...
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  15. millman

millman New Member

I have had both and still have a Marlin 60. I prefer the stock shape, and the last shot bolt hold open feature on the Marlin.