1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The truth has been told and proven, the Marlin Model 60
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

3. dianalv

dianalv New Member

I'd say the 10/22, hands down. More reliable. More accurate, in my opinion, straight from the box. I have both. Not caring that much for the Marlin. I've had good Marlins, though.. Had a .22 mag I sold my dad that was a great little gun. I think the older Marlins are better. I don't think they are putting that much effort into workmanship on the new ones.
  4. 007bondjamesbond007

007bondjamesbond007 New Member

Marlin is the more accurate 22 of the 2. The Ruger I had seemed more of a jam-a-matic. I don't know if it from ammo or cleaning. Marlin barrels are what Marlin calls a Micro-Groove.
    I had a Marlin 30 30 336 and that was also very accurate. Ruger has more after market parts. The tube feed on the Marlin should slide very easy. If it does not somthing is wrong bent or flared. Keep the Ruger clean and it should not give you any problems. Now the MarlinI had to shoot about 500 rounds to break it in. Now it will shoot anything I can get.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

The age-old debate of Marlin 60 vs. Ruger 10/22 is like arguing Ford trucks vs. Chevy trucks. Both are proven designs with rabid followers. Really comes down to personal preference. A weakness of one is balanced by an advantage it has in another area over the other.

Me, I've shot and liked several examples of both but own a Marlin 60. Why? I just liked it better on the "test drive".:)
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Of course...the Marlin 60 has sold over 12 million rifles and is the Most Popular .22lr semi-auto due to that fact.

The Ruger 10/22 has sold over 7 million, yet only came out 3 years after the Marlin 60...and it's never caught up...
    and never will.

While you can replace almost everything on a 10/22...the sad fact is, for real precision out of them, you NEED to.
    Volquartzen has made a cottage industry out of making 10/22 replacement parts...and now even
    makes 10/22 rifles better than anything Ruger ever could hope to make.

With a Marlin 60 or 795...the barrels are already precise...not much need to change 'em.
    Heck, the 795 comes with a Medium-weight tapered barrel, which is the same as the one on the old Marlin 700..
    Marlin figured out that the 700 style barrel was even more precise than the original 70HC/70P, so made the switch.
    The only things that NEED to be done to a Marlin is Bolt-polishing & Trigger-polishing...which frankly, are needed on the 10/22 as well.

There are some nifty options available for the Marlins...ya gotta search a bit for 'em, but some of us run a listing over on G&G, and occasionally I post about things that I test or buy to upgrade mine on every board I'm a member of.

Fun part is, almost anything you can stick on a Ruger, you can use on a Marlin with a little modding ;)
    The Marlin is thinner, so stocks need to be built up a bit to hold the action...
    but all the same rules apply to fitting an airsoft stock to a Marlin as they do a Ruger.

Now if only Manufacturer's of Ruger gear would realize that there are 12 million Marlin 60's & 3 million 795's & another 5 million 70/700/7000/995's out there than NEED ACCESSORIES. There's an almost untapped market just waiting for intelligent people to jump in.

Boyd's does a special run of stocks for the 60/795 every other month or three...you have to be on-the-ball when they come out, because they usually sell out within 72 hours or less. Last run was 4 different colors of Thumbhole stocks, the first two of four colors sold out within 12 hours, then the third within 24, and the last within 72 (they made a lot more in Natural).
    The next run will start selling on 6/29/10. Watch Boyd's website for more info on that date...and I'd be on early...:)
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Tech-Sights came out with a perfect sight system for the marlin 60/795's...and has sold quite a few over the last two years. Enough to where they are pretty darn happy.
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

Come out with something good, reasonably priced, and word gets around the Marlin community fast...especially if I find out about it...even more so if I test it and it turns out GOOD ;)

Rimfire Technologies is proof of that...they started making ONE little Marlin item...and now have 11 Items currently, and a few more in the testing stages that will be out soon :)
    https://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=50&show=40&page=1

Heck, I'm working on producing a nifty rear sight specific to Marlin semi-auto's, but will also fit on any 3/8th's rail.
    Even if I just sell to One-Half a Percent of the total of Marlin semi-auto-owners...I'll definitely recoup my costs ;)
    More than likely I'll be able to put a kid or two thru college on it alone, even with just a two-dollar profit per unit.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. temain

temain New Member

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3a3823e28d.jpg[/img][/url][/IMG][​IMG][/url][/IMG]I have 2 of each, in blue, and stainless, and they are both great guns, I paid $125 for the Model 60 Stainless in the pic, my Stainless 10/22 has a cheap Tasco 3x9x40 scope on it, and it is a tack driver. I like the open sights on the marlins, a little better than the rugers. Both are excellent rifles, and you should at least have one of each
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  8. tenbears

tenbears New Member

The Marlin's Do have an advantage with their Micro-Grooved barrel, but their feed ramp does cause bullet deformity when forced up the ramp and into the chamber and prone to feed jams with hollow points.. At close range it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, but if your set on pin point accuracy, it may cause you headaches.
    The Ruger has the advantage of the magazine bring the bullet up higher and closer to the chamber, and I have not noticed any striping of the bullets, so less jams with different types of bullets styles. I have the Ruger and have had a Marlin Model 60. To me both are very well made rifles. I didn't have to modify the Ruger to get accuracy out of it. I hear allot of other people who say they had to modify it to correct that. Maybe I got luck, or maybe it was operator error.
  9. XIDshooter

XIDshooter New Member

Have a 60 already,ALMOST bought a 10/22 today.Dicks has them for a little over 200.00.
    I may still................................
  10. docmaggot

docmaggot New Member

Hey if you can link me to a place with a walk-through of such "a 15 minute trigger job" on a Marlin 60, I'd really appreciate it: the only "trigger jobs" I've seen described online are pretty darn intimidating! Thanks.
  11. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Two of THE most popular .22LR rimfire rifles in the world today.

I'd prefer the Marlin 60 to a Ruger 10/22 any day but it's all about taste mainly. They are both pretty good budget rifles and both are capable of awesome accuracy once you have spent money to improve them. The Ruger 10/22 has a very very basic trigger that can't be adjusted easily.

These two rifles have outsold everything else worldwide in the past 30 years + by a factor of 10 or more! :eek: I think the Marlin 60 has been around for 40 years + which is truly amazing.

Then again I'd prefer a CZ or a quality Brit made rifle over a Marlin.

Pity that there aren't any British made options out there any more.... (R.I.P Webley & Scott, BSA etc). :( I am a Brit afterall....
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  12. Toolmanroberts

Toolmanroberts New Member

I own both. They are both great guns. I do think that the Marlin has the edge when it comes to accuracy, at least the stock version.
  13. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Own both and like them equally, purchased my 10/22 for $89 brand new way back in the day. Picked up two Marlin 60's for my boys at Kmart for $90 each which included a nice camo case and a scope.
  14. Sandman

Sandman Member

I own a Marlin 60. I have never sold a gun in my life, but have given serious though to selling that one many times. Only reason that I don't is that I don't think I can get enough to make it worthwhile. I couldn't sell it for much and keep a clear conscience. Maybe mine is just a lemon, but I won't give them a second chance. I don't own a 10/22, but own lots of other Rugers. I would take a Ruger over the model 60 in a heartbeat.
  15. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I just talked to a guy today at the range who was/is struggling with his Marlin 60, but he admitted that he only has problems with certain ammo but certain other ammo functions flawlessly. Seems like a simple solution to me. ?? .22's can be finicky about ammo, so I guess you have to experiment and stick with what works, which is fun in and of itself.