Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Just because there are more Marlins out there doesn't mean they are better. Under that assumption we can assume Chevy Chevettes are better than a Ford GT40 or Pintos are better than Teslas.

My whole family hunts and while you will find a high diversity of gun types in the hands of various uncles and cousins you won't find a Marlin. That is one .22 that I have never seen in the hands of my relatives or mine. Like buying beer in that white can with the label in big black letters that says BEER. Not good stuff.

The reason their aren't many aftermarket stuff for Marlins....same reason their aren't a ton of aftermarket stuff for Pintos.
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

I'll let your poor car analogies slide, but not this. In factory out-of-the-box form, the Marlin is a better performer. The reason for the vast aftermarket for the Ruger is because they NEED an improved barrel/trigger/stock, or a modified magazine release... The Marlin already comes with a great barrel, a stock with a nice fit and finish, and a decent trigger, and the 795 has a proper mag release. No need to upgrade anything. The Ruger would be the Honda Civic Si. Not much of a performer, but once you start the modifications and adding bells and whistles, THEN you have something surprisingly quick. Whereas the Marlin could be something along the lines of a Mustang, or any cheap sports car that does well straight from the factory, which doesn't need upgrades.

I have both, shoot both, and love both. But the Ruger is a money pit, with a barrel and stock that cost more than the actual gun.
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

My 60 would beat my 10/22 any day but the 10/22 looks cooler so it's a trade.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I know Zane........I am, But I am also in the 12 step program,
    and I believe I am making progress.....:eek:

My 39D [bottom pic] is what I judge ALL other .22lr rifles/carbines
    by for a stock-out-of-the-box shooter.......

I guess I am just weak, 'cause I can't decide between most guns
    which is the best......so I just like almost all of them. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I think the Mustang has as many aftermarket parts as the Civic, so your analogy sucks. The Civic was never really supposed to be or marketed as a sports car for Honda, it was supposed to be economical. You want to compare apples to oranges. The Honda S2K is one of their sports cars and it will eat a Mustang for lunch unless you are talking Super Snake or something. My dad and I have had two stock 10/22s since the mid 70s and have done nothing to them because they rock. They don't need anything done to them. Fit and finish is great and magazine release is fine. Good accuracy with bulk ammo and the trigger is fine with practice. Couldn't even count the tree rats and rabbits taken with them, let alone blackbirds and starlings. The marlin stock looks like dog crap IMO. Personally, I don't like tube magazines either, they look like crap too. I have an old Mossy that is tube fed, BUT it is the M model and has the full stock so you don't see the dorky tube. If something doesn't look appealing it normally isn't and the Marlin's look like crap unless you are talking lever actions. The one upgrade you can go for with Marlins is a different stock......cause they look like crap.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yep, post #40
    [except for the good car talk, that's new] :)
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And between my two [10/22 or 60]
    they both shoot fine....as well as the ammo allows....
    but I do prefer the Ruger.
  8. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Who says there's no such thing as a zombie? This thread has died and came back to life a dozen times at least. Or maybe it's just some Hindu reincarnation stuff.

This is really a simple question.

Both are nice.
    The Ruger has more aftermarket parts.
    The Marlin generally shoots better out of the box and is cheaper.

So if you like adding new parts to your guns buy a Ruger. If you like buying a gun you know you'll never change for any reason get the Marlin. Or just get the one that feels best to you. Marlin actually does have a small but growing aftermarket now but it will be 50 years before they catch up with Ruger on that front and both guns will be obsolete by then since we'll all have ray guns and remote tasers.

Personally I learned to shoot rifles with a Marlin 60 way back when and I'm still a Marlin guy but I wouldn't kick a Ruger out the door for eating crackers.
  9. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

My 10/22 NEVER struggles with ANY ammo....
  10. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

depends on the model of marlin u get,,, i have 6 several diff models and they all have much more grain figure then either of the 2 rugers i have or several of my friends,, and i prefer the longer barrels of the marlin for acuracy,, depending on the model from 16 to 24 inches all of them were cheaper then the ruger new,, but i should also mention that i never paid more then $25 dollars for any of the marlins cause people didnt know they had to clean them occasionally,,, find a ruger for that price.. by the way i also have 4 other marlins for sale,, and know i will sell them in less then a week and wil make more money from them each then a ruger !!!!
  11. campacj

campacj New Member

I recently bought a vintage "plain Jane" Ruger 10/22 hardwood-stocked carbine and topped it with a Tasco 3-9x32 Pronghorn scope. Today, I took it to an indoor range and, after sighting it in, I was able to fire 9 out of 10 rounds inside a 1" Shoot-N-C Target at 25 yards. A few moments later I fired 3 shots into a dime-sized target at the same range. That's a great testament to both products and plenty good enough for me!